Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the stickied posts above, but most of them deal with performance tires or are primarily geared towards snow use. I have a 75 mile commute every day with about 95% on the freeway. I'm looking for the following (in no particular order):

1. Smooth ride (aka comfort over "performance)
2. Quiet ride
3. Great performance at freeway speeds (60mph+)
4. Great stopping performance, especially when wet
5. Willing to spend $100-160 per tire before discounts
6. Not made in China

The car will never see snow in my area and even rain is rare (we're in an extended drought for the past few years), but when it does, there's plenty of accidents on the road.

Which ones would you recommend based on this criteria for a 2014 Focus SE w/Sport Package?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are all the tire rack tires that are low rolling resisitance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S&tab=All

your criteria 1 and 2 are too hard to quantify, most will be very similar.

so I stuck on 3, which I interpreted as LRR.

so search that list for the best wet performance and you are good to go.
Hmm, I haven't really considered LRRs before. Always thought they wore out faster than regular tires? I'll do more research. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
LRR are generally harder and longer wearing. tire flex is a cause of friction losses, so stiffer/harder tires generally have a lower RR

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Stiffer tread, thinnest softest sidewalls that'll work.

It's NOT what you want for good traction, so you're "Great stopping performance, particularly in the rain" is out the window.

Tires are a compromise, you can't have BOTH great traction/handling on one hand & long life/low rolling resistance on the other.

Stick with a good quality "normal" tire for the best compromise IMHO. "Better" tires last longer & perform better than inexpensive ones.

TANSTAAFL

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts