Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an automatic[:(] 03 ZX5 my current mods are 4-1 headers, Mac intake, N1 muffler. Im trying to decide on my next mod and im really looking to get better acceleration. ive been told to look into a flywheel or a throttle body or a toque convertor anyone have any input?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Fly and tq convertor would be hard because you have to drop the tranny, not worth it until higher power is being put out. TB is the best one, especially if you port the intake mani alittle too.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Yeah, no flywheel on our cars. I forget what the plate is called, but from what I've heard it does its job really well. The last go mod I did was the throttle body, and paired with my intake and catback it made a pretty noticable difference. Flooring it from a stop will make the car jerk like crazy. If you're really craving power, just get nitrous and a valve body so the transmission won't get destroyed. [:D]

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
the automatics do have a flywheel...its nothing like a 5spd flywheel but to my knowledge, it is still called a flywheel. Its a lot lighter plate instead. Back to the acceleration, I would do an SCT Chip and/or Throttlebody. Both would improve your shifts and acceleration times.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ill go with the TB... I mean, we are talking about "Quicker acceleration" right?

TB is the way, if youre on a budget just port the stock one till you get some $$.
Its not a FC TB but you will feel the diff. on the pedal.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
i cant honestly see how the tb will help in acceleration. i mean with my car it really only helped with throttle response. i would think a chip and a valve body would do wonders more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
gump1114 said:
i cant honestly see how the tb will help in acceleration. i mean with my car it really only helped with throttle response. i would think a chip and a valve body would do wonders more.
he's talking about QUICK!! acceleration... not mad speed!!
If you have a TB did you notice a quicker acceleration comparing it to the stock one??
Maybe not but also maybe I'm just stupid I guess!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Forget the TB! Cams And a tune will make the Focus respond better! That is if you just want to keep it simple.

ATX 4 LIFE!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Under drive pulley best low end mod. Doesnt give you any more power but frees up some helps alot on accleration especially with the AC on.

Now a torque converter would help deffinatley but like everyone else said unless you got alot of power i owud worry about it. Now cams and tunning thats the ticket expensive but much better gains that all the others just make sure you get cams with the grind for your driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts