Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sückn' n Blown
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to finishing up this install. I don't have much free time, and tend to make things more complicated then they should be. I fabricated a patch panel so I can tap directly into the LC-1 from my laptop without any dangling cables, as well as allowing me to recalibrate it. That took a good portion of time, and is 90% what I pictured.

I just finished installing the sensor. I had a bung welded onto my Cosworth flex pipe, which placed the sensor just aft of the front cross member, which is a good thing, since you need to remove the sensor from the exhaust when you recalibrate it. It also puts it right next to the shifter, so you dont' have to run cables every where.









Yes, you see 4 ground wires. I tried to separate the grounds as much as possible to reduce any error coming over the signal wire. Had a small snafu wiring it, and found my mistake, but I wasn't sure if I fubar'd the unit yet.

I was going nuts trying to figure out the problem. I was getting 4 volts at the plug (which I programmed it to do), but SCT was recording 0.9. Dug around, found some bad solder joints in the cable I made, but that didn't fix it. Dug around on SCT's website, and found out there is a glitch in the new Xcal2 units (the backlit models), and I had to do a multiplier to fix it. Tested it out again, and got 4 volts on my computer.

Now I can do some datalogging, and fine tune the program. Then I should be on the dyno with numbers. [strongman]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,506 Posts
thats cool egz... did you drill that hole in the tub where the shifter is to pass those cables or is that an unseen plug?

and sinse your messing around with the sct and excal...

i have the 93oct tune from FS cossie cai, f2header and 2.24inch exhaust... i think i saw you post one time about changing the timing alittle on the excal2... what would you recommend? thanks!
 

·
Sückn' n Blown
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drilled that hole there. Actually its 2 holes, since its double layered.

And I haven't messed with any timing with the Xcal2 yet. So I don't have any suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Excellent pics! I'm about to install the LC-1 unit on mine tomorrow and will probably follow your example.
Are you happy with the ground location?
That seems to be a touchy issue with the widebands and where people seem to mess up.

Are you currently using it and how is it working out?
Did you perform the open-air calibration?

Also what source did you use for your switched 12v power? Pic? Color wire?
Did you add an inline fuse?
 

·
Sückn' n Blown
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was really surprised with the results with the ground offsets. I had almost nothing. I separated almost all of the grounds so they all had their own, which must have helped.

I haven't datalogged it much lately, but when it was on a dyno, the results were spot on. In fact, the dyno's wideband was actually slipping a little; each following run it read a couple of points richer, while looking at the datalog, it stayed really consistant.

An open air calibration was done. Kind of a pain with the heat sheild, and that dang plug into the control unit. Unpluging the sensor (so I can unscrew it) is always hard for me for some reason.

Power comes from a add-a-circuit fuse. I forget which fuse I used; I probed around until I found one that was switched. I'll check when I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Thanks! I plan on starting tonight and tearing stuff apart.
By morning I should be ready to drill/splice/mount etc.
 

·
Sückn' n Blown
Joined
·
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW - I tapped into fuse 46 for the ABS, since I don't have that. It was a 7.5A fuse, which I added an add-a-circuit to.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top