Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in a Dec '02 copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, that swapping in Redline synthetic 30W oil netted a 2 hp peak gain and 1-2 hp thru out the range on the dyno.. not bad for an oil change.. has anyone heard any better gains with a different synthetic? if so let me know.
-Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
depends on how old the oil in it was, how much better the new oil is and the drivetrain, remember a focus will only get .5hp from a K&N filter a mustang could get 5+

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they swapped the oil on a ZX3, and those were the dyno results for that, not a Mustang. the oil couldn't have been that bad, I'm sure they keep up on it considering they are editors of an automotive magazine..

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
did they also mention the differences of temps and such that lead to different numbers on the dyno?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it only takes 20 minutes to swap the oil, so how much difference in temp/humidity could there have been? besides, these guys dyno test every thing so I'm positive they ensured same engine temp and controled all possible variables.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I got a better idea..... STICKERS

Seriously though you will gain atleast the same amount performance from taking out the spare tire.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
yes, and a car does run much smoother with amsoil or royal purple

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
focus said:
I got a better idea..... STICKERS

Seriously though you will gain atleast the same amount performance from taking out the spare tire.
I don't recommend this. It will reduce some weight but you never know when you'll need the spare. I needed mine @ 3000 miles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
once upon a time they swapped all the fluids (engine, tranny, and rear end) with Red Line.
This gave them about a quarter second in a quarter mile.

·
Registered
95 Posts
all i have to say is, i wonder who sponsored all these articles? Oil is oil is oil. The only real differances come from the weight and if it is synthetic or not. I buy the case from wal-mart, it costd like 9$ and you get 12 qts. works for me.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Certain oils have been known to boost performance in certain engines.

If the redline made 1 or 2 whp well, maybe its good stuff, should you switch thats up to you.

I have used it before, only used it in my lightning, wouldn't change to anything else thats for sure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oil is not oil. Syn oil is much different than dino oil. So much so that Corvette recommends syn oil only. Syn oil is better in every way from dino except cost. But you get what you pay for.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
After the 3000 mile break-in I put in Red Line oil and ATX tranny fluid. May all be in my head but the Focus sure seemed to run alot smoother and shift better.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I have a good friend who is a oil distributor for Spectro oils and they have done dyno pulls on 625 h.p. small blocks used for dirt track ( outlaw cars). Anyway, they have definately seen results of horsepower gains from various high grade synthetics, so it can work. Without opening the big oil debate, run good quality oils and you will never regret it. Redline, Spectro, Mobil, etc.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
is that amsoil system pretty good? it was like 2 grand last time i checked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts