Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm going to need to replace my front pads soon enough and I was interested in ceramic pads. I've tried to look around in the forum for my major concern if ceramic pads make any squeeling noise at all but I didn't see anything.

Also how effective are they in everyday driving and how do they perform in the winter? I'm a semi-spirited driver but I'm not abusive on the brakes 95% of the time.

Are the ceramic pads from UAP NAPA good?!! They're pretty much $80 Cdn + txs

One last thing, do I really need to resurface my discs even if they seem to provide no wobbly braking?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I asked about ceramics before and iddn't get an answer...i ended up goin with just semi metallic....but yes you do need to resurface your rotors...pads wear groves into the rotor b/c some parts of the pads are a lil harder than others...when you put new pads on w/o a resurface, they don't seat right and could cause unusual pad wear and you won't get a proper break in and could lose braking performance......always resurface or replace rotors...hope this helps some!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks focused. Anyone know if ceramic pads are a wise decision? I don't care too too much about dust because i wash my car every week I just want durablity with no squeeking and disc problems.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use the EBC sport rotors with EBC red pads they are ceramic No fade No mush No squeel The hotter they get the stickier they get . You do have to go easy on the braking the first 400 miles till they get seated but after that they do great. You stomp on them they lock up nice. And if your going 70 mph plus and need to slow just a tap will bring you down fast. Use this with braided steel brake lines and you better get ready for stopping power. As for brake dust I can go at least a month before anything even shows. Brake dust is very little.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
hawk and axis are the best. no fade, no problems with heat, but get brembo or much denser disc for these. since your stock ones will be eaten alive...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so I would need to change my discs. I don't know how old my current dics are (Felicia is 2nd hand!) but I'll see if I have enough money!!!! ( Broke student working worse than a horse to pay for too many things!!) Does name brand really make a difference? I was asking if NAPA ceramic pads are good enough and are they good for regular driving? I don't brake hard all the time so they won't be that hot at all.

But thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're not trying to slow down from 130 mph all the time, then yes, napa pads work fine. I forgot how quiet they actually are until I replaced the ceramics with the regualar pads last round, my ride's a noisy bastard now.

And replaced the pads myself. Seeing how I have no way to turn the discs, I usually just put the new pads on and let them form to the rotors on their own. Not the safest I'm sure, but the rotors still had plenty of meat on them and were in decent shape. I'm in the same situation, broke, and mainly driving around the city.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts