Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so new turbo is installed, im curious to know if there is anything I should know/have done before I start the car with the new turbo for the first time. My bro was suggesting putting oil in it before I start it but...i already have all my fitting n such on there and Id rather not have to take everything apart again. I read somewhere that you just unhook you ign system and crank it over a few times to build some oil pressure, I tried that but my oil psi gauge was still reading 0psi.

Oh and while im on the topic of oil, someone was suggesting i get a .6 reducer or something, where would I install that on the feed line?

Please help, i wanna see da new baby purr.

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump? Tom told me this and then logged off. Should I spin the turbo with the drain line unhooked until i get oil out of it? Then obviously rehook it up. Is that gonna draw oil into the housing?

"oil line loose spin it till you get oil , hook up the hose then spin it some more to pre oil the turbo then start it "

·
Registered
789 Posts
ok, to start off with, to 'prime' your turbo, leave the ignition connected but unhook your wires from the plugs so your engine won't start. you have to do it just like a hard to start car, crank for a couple of seconds and give it a rest for a few seconds then do it again. do this at least 3 times but make sure not to crank for too long or you will burn your starter up. reconnect your wires to your plugs and crank it up. no need to unhook anything except for your plug wires.

not sure where to get a reducer from or what size so hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I wouldnt let it start till you KNOW it has oil going to it and the only way to know that is taking off a oil line either top or bottom of turbo

Tom

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, why not just unplug ur coil? Thats 1 plug vs 4 plugs. To my knowledge its the same result.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Pull the fuel pump fuse so your not dumping fuel into the cylinders.

.06 oil restrictor is what your looking for.

·
Registered
975 Posts
leave the ignition connected but unhook your wires from the plugs so your engine won't start....reconnect your wires to your plugs and crank it up. no need to unhook anything except for your plug wires. QUOTE]

thats a good idea if u plan on frying ur coil. ur better off unplugging the coil it self. the spark plug is the ground for the coil is its not grounded then all the power isnt going anywere and can burn up ur coil.

·
Registered
798 Posts
ok, to start off with, to 'prime' your turbo, leave the ignition connected but unhook your wires from the plugs so your engine won't start. you have to do it just like a hard to start car, crank for a couple of seconds and give it a rest for a few seconds then do it again. do this at least 3 times but make sure not to crank for too long or you will burn your starter up. reconnect your wires to your plugs and crank it up. no need to unhook anything except for your plug wires.

not sure where to get a reducer from or what size so hopefully someone else will chime in.
You need to unplug the injector's. Then turn your engine over for 5 seconds at a time. You shoudl do this around 3-5 times depending on how you feel. This will prime the turbo. The small amount of compressed air coming out the exhaust should be enough to spin the turbo to get the oil moving through it.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I dont agree , you need to see oil going to the turbo , the turbo that was there died and was a new install how do you know that there isnt an oiling issue to the turbo

Take the coil main wire off , take the oil feed line off , spin the engine and see that you have a GOOD oil supply to the turbo , this should ALLWAYS be done with installing and starting a turbo for the first time

Taking the plug wires off the plugs and spinning the engine will not hurt the coil , if the plugs are the ground with no ground the circuit isnt completed so no damage can be done to the coil

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts