Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 2013/2014 ST3 Recaro seats, how hot are they supposed to get? I keep my seat turned up to the highest setting (5) and I barely notice it. Any lower setting and it might as well not be on. I can feel it when it first starts heating up, but after awhile I forget it's even on. The salesperson who sold me the car said the seat burns his ass off when turned up all the way. Maybe he was talking about the passenger's seat, or thinking of another car?

Has anyone else been experienced this? I'm not sure if it's just me or if the seat is defective.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the ST section.

Somehow ended up in Car Audio.

·
Registered
285 Posts
On the 2013/2014 ST3 Recaro seats, how hot are they supposed to get? I keep my seat turned up to the highest setting (5) and I barely notice it. Any lower setting and it might as well not be on. I can feel it when it first starts heating up, but after awhile I forget it's even on. The salesperson who sold me the car said the seat burns his ass off when turned up all the way. Maybe he was talking about the passenger's seat, or thinking of another car?

Has anyone else been experienced this? I'm not sure if it's just me or if the seat is defective.
I have a '13 Ti and mine will burn my butt at 5...of course, I don't wear Depends yet!!! Just some lol !

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went from a 2013 Focus SE with heated seats to a 2014 Focus ST3. The SE heated seats were much hotter than the ST seats. I could never put them up to 5. In the ST they are always at 5 just to get enough heat to feel it. I don't know if the system is different or the cloth SE seats just had less material to heat through.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went from a 2013 Focus SE with heated seats to a 2014 Focus ST3. The SE heated seats were much hotter than the ST seats. I could never put them up to 5. In the ST they are always at 5 just to get enough heat to feel it. I don't know if the system is different or the cloth SE seats just had less material to heat through.
Hmm, maybe my sales guy was thinking of a non-ST focus when he said the seats burn him at 5. Thanks for the input. Maybe it's just the way they are designed. It would be nice to have one less thing for the dealer to fix (I have quite the list...).

Btw, your avatar is freaking me the [:)][:)][:)][:)] out.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Hmm, maybe my sales guy was thinking of a non-ST focus when he said the seats burn him at 5. Thanks for the input. Maybe it's just the way they are designed. It would be nice to have one less thing for the dealer to fix (I have quite the list...).

That doesn't make much sense, I was told the leather seats with the heaters worked so much better and that was the excuse given to me when the seat heaters in my cloth seats in my old Focus SEL were fairly cold on 5 at the seat surface well the drivers seat at least barely hit ~90F v.s. the target of 125F per the service manual. Then for whatever reason the seat heaters in the Focus SE I have now to replace my 09 Crown Victoria worked so much better even though they were cloth seats.

So either there is something wrong with the heating element or the element is under the foam rather than on top of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That doesn't make much sense, I was told the leather seats with the heaters worked so much better and that was the excuse given to me when the seat heaters in my cloth seats in my old Focus SEL were fairly cold on 5 at the seat surface well the drivers seat at least barely hit ~90F v.s. the target of 125F per the service manual. Then for whatever reason the seat heaters in the Focus SE I have now to replace my 09 Crown Victoria worked so much better even though they were cloth seats.

So either there is something wrong with the heating element or the element is under the foam rather than on top of it.
Huh. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership pulls the same move on me and tells me that the leather seats aren't supposed to heat up as much as the cloth seats.

·
Registered
188 Posts

My avatar is one of the few selfies i've ever taken

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I finally got my car back from the dealership. They told me that the seats were working within Ford specifications, so there was nothing to be fixed. Maybe the leather Recaros just don't heat up that much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
MY seats get quite warm (SE with cloth). Now that I have heavier pleather seat covers it does take quite a while to feel the heat and it's not quite as hot (with the covers on).

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would imagine cloth absorbs and holds the heat better than leather. As it builds under your bum, it would feel hotter. My seats are plenty hot for me though. Turn it on 5 and I'd be sweating if I did any real movements.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just went to an ST from an SE and the heated seats in the SE work much better. It's probably the same heating mechanism but the materials make it work not as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts