Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my 2012 in the garage for 5 months, treated the gas but FORGOT to unhook the battery! It was dead, really dead, hooked the charger up but it doesnt seem to be coming back. This is the factory ORIGINAL battery (2012 model) so I am guessing its finally gone bad. Are there ANY OTHER things I should be checking before I replace the battery? Should I put in say a Walmart Battery (Johnson controls) or maybe one from the FORD dealer? I'm sure it will be more expensive, just wondering if the FORD battery will last that much longer than the Advanced/Autozone/Walmart types- enough to make paying more for it worth the expense?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In reading thru the posts, it appears my 2012 will need a reset when replacing the battery. I saw where this was mostly a dealer only service at the time the posts were written, but does anyone know if say Autozone etc can now reset the FORD battery info?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved this to the MkIII section, since your answers are in there already.

There are posts on it theoretically resetting if left alone long enough, IDS tool is the only sure way (unless there's a new capability I haven't seen posted) and that's primarily a Ford tool. Few garages have paid for full Ford computer access, though available.

NOT critical, but better for operation in a number of ways. Things shut down for low battery early otherwise, and charging operates differently (assumes old battery).

SHOULD be cheap reset at a Dealer, even if not purchased there. (hey, it was an emergency so I bought one & installed it tale).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a recommendation for a new battery for my 2012? I've used Walmarts (Johnson Controls- usually last 3 yrs), maybe the Motorcraft from the Dealer would outlast the Walmart type enough to justify the extra cost?
HOW LONG ARE MOST of the original batteries going on the FOCUS?

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Go to the parts counter at the dealer and buy a battery, even if you install it yourself.

I did so for my wife's car and it was $5 LESS than a mid-grade Walmart battery.

Hit up the dealer for the charging system reset after replacement. A common issue people say happens is early radio cut off to conserve the battery when the computers are in old battery conservative mode. If you explain that you researched and found out about the reset on the web after battery replacement, then Bam. You'll probably end up with a free courtesy reset at that point since you just bought THEIR battery.

Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Used Forscan to reset my battery management system after I got a new battery and I've never gotten the power saving message since.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
new battery from advance auto for 100 bucks worked for me. in the summer i run lipo they only weigh 5 pounds but dont have power below 15 degrees
xD in other words they are good for 5 months out of the year then yer f&$*ed
i'll keep my trusty ol normal battery i dont feel like swapping out a lead acid and having it sit for 5 months and letting it die then have to fork out another $100 to replace it for winter..

and lithium polymer hate heat even more and blister. [rolleyes]

also pssst invest in one of these they work great if you park it for more then a week.. all my cars have the eyelet connector permanently installed, just feed the extention cable up under the engine plug it in and leave the hood partially proped or if left outside close the hood but put a reminder that its plugged in =D my jag has one on it all the time

Best $29.99 i've spent.. (bought 2 with 2 extra eyelet pigtails)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ford Battery...

I replaced my 2011 Ford Escape battery with a Ford MAX Battery that has:

•Excellent limited warranty* coverage – 100-month (8+ years) unlimited mileage

•36-month (3-year) FREE replacement period

Mine lasted for 6 years before I had to replace it. This way I can go to any Ford Dealer and get service on the battery or a replacement if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts