Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to put the st170 lights in and then put in an HID conversion kit from :

http://www.visionbulbs.com/vb_product.php?id=8&dmv=251083025 or http://www.oznium.com/hid (oznium comes highly recomended from focal jet)

I was merely wondering is this a viable project and has anyone done this before. I was hoping to save some money over the uber priced ford HID's but I read somewhere on here that it was neccessary to use projector headlights in order use HID's properly. Thanks for the help!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
It would be doable, but illegal. Plus, by the time you have bought the ST170's and an HID kit for them, you would be better off just buying the SVT/Mach HID kit available from Ford Racing.

Since you said something about [fj], send a pm to Steve, his screen name is FORDSVTPARTS there. The dealership he works at has a deal for forum members where we can buy the parts at 10% above their cost...this is the same discount that the dealership employees get, and I believe that he has the SVT/Mach HID kit for under $800, I think.

Anyway, it would be far better to just spend the extra $100 or so on the HID kit from Ford, if you are set on getting HID's, you would have far less chance of being hassled by the cops. If you aren't completely set on getting HID's, I would have to say that the ST170's are by far the best choice, from everything I have heard/read, they have output very close to what the HID's have.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mike, big help. I was just under the impression that the ford HID's were ridiculously expensive and that this way would be cheaper and set my focus apart a little. But if you think it's worth the extra money for the mach HID's I'll probably go that way. Thanks again!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
No problem, that's why we are on the forums, to learn [:)]...Like I did say though...if you really want the HID lighting, go with the Mach's...If you can live without the HID, go with the ST170's, maybe with some Silvania Silverstar bulbs or some other "blue" "HID look" bulb.

Mike

·
FoFo Quebec!
1,486 Posts
Good advice Mike but you're forgetting something important: in most States, it is illegal to install aftermarket headlights on your car, including the Mach kit.

ST170 are a good choice error54, happy modin' ;)

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on that qbert...I guess I'm just so used to living where the cops don't really care, as long as you aren't being stupid, that I don't really think about things like that...Although, as far as I know, it would be more illegal to go with the ST170's and an HID bulb and ballast kit than it would be to go with the Mach's, hence the suggestion of the Mach's.

Mike

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Yes, but the Ford Racing catalog does say "For off-road use only"...but you can get past that in most states, just because they were a factory option at one point...the one thing you will need to do with either headlight kit is do the high-beam headlight mod...If noone else has the link for it, I will try to find it later for ya [thumb].

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts