Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This might be dumb lol but:

I want to go catless. Will the car be just as loud with an OBX header as it would be when just deleting the cat on the stock header?

I assume it will be, but I wasn't too sure. Might just go with the OBX, but I know volume is going to be an issue.

Thank you.

w/ my magic bag
A header is going to have a different tone. I wouldn't even deal w/ the oem mani/cat...The '05-'07 23 is the best flowing mani/cat if you want to go that way....The Fwerks header is the best header if your wanting to go that way.....I'd also add a poly dogbone (lower mount which is actually a roll restrictor)...Of course you need a tune....Add a 2.5'' mandrel bent system & add a couple good high flow mufflers such as Magnaflow's....26''-28'' case length x 5''-6'' case diameter.......

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
A header is going to have a different tone. I wouldn't even deal w/ the oem mani/cat...The '05-'07 23 is the best flowing mani/cat if you want to go that way....The Fwerks header is the best header if your wanting to go that way.....I'd also add a poly dogbone (lower mount which is actually a roll restrictor)...Of course you need a tune....Add a 2.5'' mandrel bent system & add a couple good high flow mufflers such as Magnaflow's....26''-28'' case length x 5''-6'' case diameter.......
Good to know! Is the FS header a hard fit on the 2016's? And I assume the car is going to be just as loud either way, with either the cat delete or headers?

Already have a tune so ready to go there. Just afraid of noise haha don't need too raspy of a 4cyl.

Also wondered, with a cat delete, I'm sure some crackles may come through. How much do mufflers muffle those? I'm going to want mufflers either way but was always curious how much they do.

w/ my magic bag
A good flowing header isn't going to crackle.....Like I mentioned, add a couple of mufflers & your golden.....I'm running 2 mufflers & a resonator.....as I don't care for loud 4 cylinders....All you'll hear is a little header ting, as the hot exhaust is flowing out of a equal length primary tubing.....You can go to my album profile & click on the pix to see my system to give you a idea......

Registered
Good to know! Is the FS header a hard fit on the 2016's? And I assume the car is going to be just as loud either way, with either the cat delete or headers?

Already have a tune so ready to go there. Just afraid of noise haha don't need too raspy of a 4cyl.

Also wondered, with a cat delete, I'm sure some crackles may come through. How much do mufflers muffle those? I'm going to want mufflers either way but was always curious how much they do.
I have the OBX on my '13, getting the header in was easy. Getting the stock mani-cat out was a little more difficult. You need to shift the motor a little forward and pull it out the top, not too difficult especially if you have another set of hands.

It is noticeably louder than with the stock mani-cat (already had the Fswerks stealth exhaust) and I wouldn't say it I guess I would describe it as muffled burbles with occasional pops but not crazy loud pops. Also not a big fan of loud 4 cyl usually but these motors aren't that bad really, definitely not like a loud Honda

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So mote be it
The aftermarket headers would have larger primaries than than the oem manicat and will flow better than the stock one with a cat delete. So i would expect there to be sound differences between the two and would pick the better flowing header to be louder.

If going header, make sure you get some nice mufflers/resonators to get the sound tamed down. Stay away from the exhausts with only a single muffler/resonator, they will drone and not quiet the header properly. You will want an aftermarket one that has a pair of mufflers/resonators

1 - 7 of 7 Posts