Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing how relatively easy it is to replace, and some of the benefits of doing so (my car is reaching 120,000 miles and I don't think its ever been changed), I am going to change the transmission fluid.

It appears the fill and drain plugs are hidden inside the shift linkage box, so my first question is, how bad would it be if a little bit of fluid spilled on the box/shift linkage covers ?

Does anyone know if my drain plug has a little magnet that picks up all the tiny metal shavings ?

Do I fill the transmission up until the point where it starts spilling out of the fill hole, wait for it to stop, then close it back up again ?

My ford manual indicates my 1.6 Zetec SE engine requires oil spec ESD-M2C 186-A (2.3 litres of the stuff), whereas the Haynes manual suggests I use WSD-M2C 200-C (which the ford manual says its for 2.0 Zetect-E, 1.8 Endura and 2.0 Duratec engines). Who is right ?

Going by the Ford manual (ESD-M2C 186-A), I found this stuff which appears to be correct (will need 3 bottles of it), anyone know if this stuff should be ok/any experience with it ?

Comma Gear Oil MT75 1L

Car is a 2001 1.6 Focus Ghia 51 Reg. Also would like to know if there is anything else I should know before doing it, that would be great :).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don’t know much about your year model, I would suggest using ford specs. As far as draining oil I don’t know if there is a drain plug. If not I would do this go to a parts store and get a hand oil transfer pump, of siphon bulb whichever has smaller tubing. And pull the fulid out thru fill hole will take a long time but it should work.

As for filling the trans, I would fill it up til it starts coming out, let it drain some then put plug back in. Or you can keep adding fluid and checking level with your finger this is a great way if you don’t want to spill any.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just taken a picture of behind the shift linkage cover, my understanding is the top one = fill and bottom = drain (from the videos I have seen) -

So it looks like im good to go, but still just confirming if the tran fluid is correct (im 99% sure it is but just want to make sure).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally all done, bit messy but got there. 19mm socket on drain plug to get her off, and a number 8 allen key for the fill hole. Sadly while trying to get that drain plug out, I tapped the shift link next to it and appear to have snapped a little bit of plastic off it (I hope, prey, it wasn't important and mostly cosmetic, I have pictures further down). Once it finally turned into a drip on the drain, plugged it back up, removed the filler and used the gear oil to fill her up. Used just a smidge over roughly 2 litres. Plugged it all back up an so far have only had a 5 minute drive, would like to say shifts seems smoother but I wont say for definite until some more driving.

I used a slanted drive way and levelled the car out using jack stands when I filled the tranny back up. What came out was quite dark, a bit brown looking. Here's some pics for those interested :)

And pictures of the shift link part I damaged, it appears to just be a bit of plastic from the top, sorry for the crappy pic of it will take a better one later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The g/box oil in the UK focus is meant to be 'lifetime' oil but never believed in that "oil will last a lifetime" nonsense..... especially in some high mileage motors. Any real reason for changing it though, box getting notchy, changes not as exact?

Well done btw, horrible smelly job is doing the g/box oil... As far as the oil spec is concerned, you probably won't find oil of exactly the same spec from a manual that's 12 years old, oil spec update all the time so it wld be the current equivalent- or 'meets the spec'. The best bet would have been to call up your local Ford Stealer and see what their updated spec would be. The oil you have bought though should be fine as it's a 75W/90 grade. Sorry to get a bit techy here but - It's manufactured to ford's spec for the MT75 gearbox which are in the 2.0, RS, 1.8 TDCi & 1.8 TDDi's, yours is an IB5 G/Box though guess it should be ok as it meets the required spec. It's all really down to compatibility with seals and stuff as the viscosity spec is ok @ 75W/90. Comma oil is middle of the road oil & I believe a fair few service centre's use it cause it's a reasonable price/quality, it's been about for a long time.
Comma actually recommend their fully synthetic oil for the IB5 box http://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91007005 but again you used one that meets the Ford spec it asked for so no issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I drove a1980 Ford Fiesta for 196,000 miles and never changed the fluid. lubricates are much better today and unless your conditions are severe more than likely changing the fluid is not needed. But if it gives peace of mind go for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies :)

Cant say for definate that there is a difference yet, maybe slightly smoother shifting, but really nothing major, still, i like learning this stuff so still worth it too me :)

Any thought on that bit of plastic i knocked off the shift link ? Comparing it to a previous photo i took above, it does just look cosmetic (phew !), but if anyone else knows for sure that would be handy :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts