Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got myself a 2003 Sonic Blue SVTF recently. Everything is fine but when I hit a bump or nail the gas my wipers will turn on for a sec like I tried to clean the windshield. Both front and rear. Any idea what this could be? Sorry if this has been asked before. Couldn't find a topic about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
Guess the obvious is have you checked the wiring? Is something loose or moving around that would cause that kind of jerk to make contact?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess the obvious is have you checked the wiring? Is something loose or moving around that would cause that kind of jerk to make contact?

I have not lol I was hoping I could get some info before I started chasing down the electric issue. I do know my positive cable is very Jerry rigged. I've bought new cables just haven't replaced the positive yet. Would a bad alternator or bad pig tails cause weird problems like that?

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
Not just for one insulated electrical problem it's unlikely. If you whole electrics went out, or something else that impacted more items. But with just the Wiper blade motors and when you have a clear physical change of momentum that causes it. Really points to something likely by the Wiper motors or the switch controller on the steering column.

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
How with the A/C? It runs it own system in that it does not run through the steering column where the others do. Possibly unrelated and a coincidence.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How with the A/C? It runs it own system in that it does not run through the steering column where the others do. Possibly unrelated and a coincidence.

That’s why I’m thinking alternator. Too many electric issues. My guess is the pigtails.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure as hell isnt a coincidence. It all happens at the exact same time. Wipers will turn on,A/C and headlights will shut off

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
No I was asking, what is the AC doing? It is designed to turn off under full throttle conditions. Also cycles through a clutch and style pulley to balance pressure in the system due to temperature drops across the exchanger... How is the A/C not working.?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I was asking, what is the AC doing? It is designed to turn off under full throttle conditions. Also cycles through a clutch and style pulley to balance pressure in the system due to temperature drops across the exchanger... How is the A/C not working.?

Oh. It’s not blowing at all. Like I turned it off. I haven’t noticed any ghost gauges it’s just those things so far.

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
So it's not the A/C... It's the fan...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol sorry I was kinda pissy last night. It’s frustrating as hell to have these issues. Yes it’s the ac fan

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
That does sound possibly like Alternator then. Not that it's your blower fan it has nothing to do with the A/C as I blows with heat, vent, A/C...

Sorry for nit picking but when trying to diagnose over the internet....

You might have a bad battery also. Would recommend it to get tested. Your battery should be able to maintain voltage to run all the components. With Alternator drop out. My Alternator burnt out and started having some weird gauge behavior. Don't recall if any other electrics went out but belive it was isolated to the gauge cluster and possibly the radio.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That does sound possibly like Alternator then. Not that it's your blower fan it has nothing to do with the A/C as I blows with heat, vent, A/C...

Sorry for nit picking but when trying to diagnose over the internet....

You might have a bad battery also. Would recommend it to get tested. Your battery should be able to maintain voltage to run all the components. With Alternator drop out. My Alternator burnt out and started having some weird gauge behavior. Don't recall if any other electrics went out but belive it was isolated to the gauge cluster and possibly the radio.

Well it’s a brand new battery. Just bought it like 3 weeks ago. I replaced the negative cable but haven’t gotten around to the jerry rigged positive cable. Maybe that could be it too? Also radio was fine and i couldn’t see what the gauge cluster was doing.

·
Thats What She Said
10,666 Posts
Then work the path of easiest to check.

Double check all cables on the battery. Just because you bought it even yesterday it could be bad. Also if it is your alt, it could have killed your new battery also.

So just blower, headlights, and wipers? Nothing else extricate like radio, engine shutting down (no spark), gauge cluster?

Try to pay attention to the gauge cluster next time. If the gauge reset or go wonky as in the display shows - - - - where the trip and Odometer are. Or if lights come on.

Sounds like it could still be an isolated problem if you are not having wide spread electrical drop out.

Look in the engine bay fuse box, smell for burning plastic smell. Check fuses, check relays. Clean and tighten down the battery posts. Check the wire crimp on the posts, that usualy starts fraying and braking strands.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
With the way the wipers turn themselves on I'd say it's more of a wiring problem. Power is usually sent through a relay to a switch then to ground. Wires must be shorting out on steering column or something...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar issue with the wipers on my '03. Traced it down to a bad ground. Cleaned off both cables mounted to the inner aprons, problem solved. (cleaned the pigtails first of course).

·
Registered
3 Posts
my car has what I call glitches.like sometimes I try to power down my windows, My wonderfulmechanic likely saved me a new ignition by showing how not use my key, but mine has glitches.
but the latest is the pulley, idler pulley . and big problem

1 - 20 of 27 Posts