Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys what's up?

I got a ? wondering what the group would say and do about choosing between a turbo,or a supercharger.
I drive a 2002 zx5, mods consist of udp,cold air,exhaust. which would give me the best bang, and reliability.
[?|]
oh and any other suggestions would be helpful!!!!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
How much money do you have to spend? A supercharger setup will be a pretty good bit cheaper than a good turbo setup but the turbo is going to make more power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 3000.00 . I do want more horsepower and I guess it all depends on what set up you may get[confused] . i was glad to get the reading material on both, and will study it . Then i may have more ?.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well... 3000 you cant get very far with FI. 3k can do a lot for u as far as headwork goes and you can have a strong running n/a vechile. but if you must have FI, then get a JRSC with a big boost pulley. but you will have a better performer with finishing ur exhaust, new head, cams, and some tranny work n tuning. u might be able to fit that all under 3k too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You could get a non-aftercooled kit for a little under 3 grand. Im getting one, i may get aftercooler later on. but talk to Tom, he sells turbo kit and Vortech kits. and he probobly knows more about this crap than anyone else. go to www.focus-power.com, im getting my kit from CFM w/ a custom chip.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
axman..
how much does the kit cost and how much boost ?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The non-aftercooled kit on a ZX3 isn't all that great.

If you are going to do it do it right, even if you need to save more $. You will be happier in the end.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i would not recommend going with FI without a aftercooler / intercooler........all it will do is make you run less boost, also those kits come with new fuel injectors so you will be running way rich without the aftercooler....unless they give you smaller aftermarket injectors. Then you do go with the aftercooler you'll also have to pay for the bigger injectors.

just my .02

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The benefit of superchargers is that they have very linear power increases and do not suffer from "Lag". They normally come in well thought out kits with moderate power increases and preset boost and engine mapping. Downside is that they tend to only work well within a limited RPM range. A aftermarket turbo tends to have much more flexibility (contollable boost, programable, etc) and thus more potential horsepower under wider conditions (lots of RPM's if desired). The downside is that you better know what you are doing before you play with these options or there can be catastrophic results.

·
Registered
793 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
well... 3000 you cant get very far with FI. 3k can do a lot for u as far as headwork goes and you can have a strong running n/a vechile. but if you must have FI, then get a JRSC with a big boost pulley. but you will have a better performer with finishing ur exhaust, new head, cams, and some tranny work n tuning. u might be able to fit that all under 3k too.
I think that would be more around $4000-4500 wouldent it with all the tranny stuff?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
A good site for turbo kits is http://www.turbo-kits.com
they have a WIDE selection of kits, but only a couple for the focus. it comes with a hybrid turbo though, so thats a plus. less of a lag time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts