Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i wanted to go boosted, really do still.

Here is the thing, i like the idea of a NA car. So i would like to know what i am looking at.

200 is a REALLY high goal but i am sure in some shape or fashion i can do it. I know the basics and i have an SVT header coming in about a week or a little more.

I want to know though what i am looking at not skimpy i need details here.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Dollar for Dollar, it would be easier and cheaper to go boosted. That is unless you can get hella deals on the NA parts. You'll be able meet if not exceed your power goals. I'll tell you from driving a Focus Sport Stage 2 ST with 11PSI that 1st and 2nd gear are useless when you're getting on it. Having an LSD did help but still is pretty well useless.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's that way.

It's going to be more a self satisfaction thing then it is about just the power here.

I really want to stay NA if at all possible.

Something to be said when non boost can roll with the others around it.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Always goes back to this:

Speed is a matter of money. How fast do you wanna go?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
On the zetec, ur gonna need about stage IV cams or better along w/ really high compression, it will be very difficult to make it streetable!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
^dangit baseball you beat me to it.

x2....having a ~200whp NA focus isn't going to be streetable at all. for how small of an engine it is, you would be making more than double what it started out with. most of the time you can usually make about 80% more power and still be somewhat streetable, unless boosting obviously. anything too much above that and you are getting into race car territory.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
^^thats the key. There are some who have the shaved heads, hi compression pistons, large cam, P&P and they're making in the 160s-170s at the wheel. Staying with a NA build will cost almost as much as a turbo, and you'll still be slower.......

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I make 164 whp and my car is still streetable, but it is a little rough. If you dropped a duratec into it, you could make the NA power ur going for. And you would have to run on race fuel too!!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'll know more in about a month if all goes well. My plan is an ported SVT head onto my block.
From what I've gathered the SVT head has larger valves than the FR head. Roughly 2mm larger than the standard zetec and 1mm bigger than the FR. Plus more agressive cams than the off the shelf ones. I'm planning on milling it down and running the thinner zetec HG and probably machining the valve reliefs to match. Along with polishing the pistons, combustion chambers and exhaust ports (I've had good luck with this in the past). I'm also going to alter the shape of the chamber some and deshroud the valves as much as I can.

I've had the 200 bug for some time, just not the ambition to do anything about it, and I've had a hard time finding the parts I want.
So I'm hoping my next issue will be applying my new found power to the ground (I have a bone stock trans with 140,000 on it). I'm hoping to break parts and force me to do something to the car :D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts