Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So if someone were to purchase a Xios kit: http://www.xiosmotorworks.com/xios_svt_focus_turbo.html
What other things would be necessary?
1. Dyno tuned by Focussport is a definite yes.

2. Tom recommended the following, a J&S safeguard and a BAP (even though the kit comes with 60lb/hr injectors)

which J&S would it be?
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=1210&Page=1

and which boostapump should be used, the 20Amp or the 40Amp?
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=1206&Page=1

3. HFC or ORP. Tom said that the HFC doesn't go well with turbo because they can get clogged when the engine runs rich. However, a HFC would be a good idea to not get noticed by California police. What would be the right pipe to use here.

Thanks for all your help guys! BTW, this is for a Daily Driver aiming for 300whp.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
1. Of course...

2. You have an SVT so yes you would need a J&S (THIS one) and the gauge as well (THIS one, because the other one has a built in A/F monitor, I would go with a seperate unit for this, like AEM, or innovative.) You will possibly need a BAP. 60lb injectors only allow for more fuel psi, if your pump is not pushing enough fuel psi, BAP will help.

3. Since you're in CA you probably have to have your car emmisions tested so yes you will need the Hi flow cat. With an ORP you may not pass emissions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ORP would def. not pass emissions and the HFC is not CARB approved here in California but it's definitely more likely to pass.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Long beach? can you get 93 oct? also are you running stock clutch? If you are you will need to upgrade everyone would tell you the same if your power goal is 300hp. it will not hold. if your going to run 15-20 psi make sure all your vac line are zip tie. spark plugs?

Call william at CFM and he will get you everything you need. Also they match prices.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just got the motorcraft one step colder for SVT and gapped to .06

93 is not available.

Yes it will be stock clutch. A new clutch will be installed when the stocker runs out.

The car will be running roughly 13psi.

·
Registered
672 Posts
just got the motorcraft one step colder for SVT and gapped to .06

93 is not available.

Yes it will be stock clutch. A new clutch will be installed when the stocker runs out.

The car will be running roughly 13psi.
You might want to go with something colder and you will need to change the themost to 180. Stock clutch will run out on the dyno. I know it's hard to think about cracking open the trans but it will happen sooner or later. Tuning might become riskly. Good luck with the turbo setup

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What should the spark plugs be gapped to? Why will he tranny need to be cracked open? Can't a better clutch just be used?

Does anyone know if a BAP will be 100% necessary? If so, the 20Amp or 40Amp would be a better choice?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You'll probably have to start the gap around 0.040 and go from there. Talk to some of the other turbo guys and see what they have theirs gapped to. If you're planning to push 300 whp or more then yes will most likely need the BAP. Not sure about the amps though sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I know most of us usually set the gap to .035 on the copper core motorcraft plugs. When I installed my turbo it was slipping real bad at 10-12 psi and it only had 5k miles on it. So I wold save yourself the hassle and put the clutch in now. I am going to say the 20amp BAP is ok. I cannot remember which one I bought but I think it was the 20.

The statement above regarding the injectors and the fuel pump leads me to believe you are a it confused on how that works. The 60lb injectors will send more fuel but the BAP is to keep your fuel pressure up. The injectors keep up the volume and BAP is pressure.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks for clearing that up Egbertnr!

If using a HFC and the car is properly tuned, it shouldn't run rich, therefore not clog up the HFC, am I correct?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
you will be running rich becasue of the FI setup your A/F ratio will be 10.5-11.5 range which is much richer then stock. Thats just the nature of the beast. I would run an ORP and when you have to get your emissions test throw the HFC on there and take it off afterward.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In california, if a cop catches you with the ORP, that's enough to get your car locked up. HFC is even illegal here.

so you're saying the HFC is going to get clogged sooner or later?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts