Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I bought my 2012 SEL on June 4th and I have about 1,200 miles on it. I have driven both city and highway a lot and I should be getting 27 mpg city and up to around 37 highway. So far the most I get city is 23 and highway is 26. I drive the speed limit and don't brake hard. What could be causing my mpg to be lower then advertised?

Also when I turn my steering wheel there is a cricking noise that seems to be from both front wheels.

My speakers rattles on anything with a slight bass even when I turn by bass down on the settings.

Both remotes I was given don't work half the time. I have to press the lock button about 5 or 6 times when I'm standing like 3 feet from the car just to get it to lock.

Anyone else share simliar problems?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Concerning the gas mileage, I'm kind of in the same boat. If I drive it normally, and NOT hard, I average ~24-25MPG combined. If I drive trying every trick in the book, including a lot of coasting to take advantage of the deceleration fuel shut off feature and turn the A/C off, I can get about 29-30MPG combined. Of course, I'm absolutely miserable driving like that, and it's a huge chore. So now I just drive normally and I get what I get but it does kind of suck. Oh, and when I first got it and did drive it hard to see what it was capable of, I was averaging 17-18MPG.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your gas mileage will go up when you put some more miles on the car. I noticed I was getting about 21-22 city when I first got the car, and I am now getting 23-24 with only 950 miles on the car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Your gas mileage will go up when you put some more miles on the car. I noticed I was getting about 21-22 city when I first got the car, and I am now getting 23-24 with only 950 miles on the car.
He has 1200 miles on it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same problems here with the speaker rattling and the key fob.

No problems with the gas mileage though. Is it possible you are using crappy gas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think this is a universal frustration for owners of the Cruze, Elantra, and many other non-sub-compact, naturally aspirated vehicles hovering around that advertised 40mpg mark on the highway because I've seen it on other car site message boards as well.

I have no idea what the conditions were like when they tested these vehicles (downhill in a wind tunnel?) but most independent tests done by car sites/magazines in actual conditions show that almost none of them are as advertised.

We should feel fortunate though because by most of the accounts I've read the Focus actually is one of the closest. The Elantra, especially, on message boards and in some recent real-world driving tests fell the furthest short of its advertised 40mpg highway and 29 city, if I'm not mistake. I believe the Focus was 2nd closest and surprisingly... the Honda Civic, which hasn't really been toting its fuel economy, was one of the best performers.

It's not great news but it could be worse. You could be driving a grinning Elantra (complete with mouth muscles) and be even more disappointed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I see that. It may take as much as 3500 miles to reach the full potential of the MPG.
Oh sorry, I thought you may have missed that. In any case, I hope your right, but I don't think it'll be very much of an improvement, though.

·
Banned
571 Posts
No rattles, squeaks or speaker vibrations here. In the city I'm getting about 25-26 MPG. At 60-70 Kph on the parkway, I get 43 MPG. Highway at speed I'm getting about 33.

Get an account on fuelly to track or mileage more accurately and see what others are getting.

3000 kilometers on the car now.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
What kind of driving do you do? how much is city/highway? is it stop and go traffic? speed limits on the most traveled roads? From my experimentation the car seems to get the best mileage in 3rd and 4th gear, above or below that it drops off considerably. Are you calculating mileage by hand or just using the in car reading?

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
Oh sorry, I thought you may have missed that. In any case, I hope your right, but I don't think it'll be very much of an improvement, though.
I agree, even if there is some improvement he is not going to go from 23/26 to 30/33 or better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting...I'm averaging 30 mpg without any hypermiling. I'm hoping to increase it as I break in the vehicle and also when the weather cools off a bit - this summer has been unusually hot here. I have only broken the 40 mpg mark once during a highway stint.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
my mileage seems to be much higher that u guys are posting here..
i live in n.e. nys about 50 miles from l. placid ... i have 600 miles on my car and today was the first day i got to really 'drive' it... i took all the well paved twisty back roads w/ no shoulders i could find....I drove in sport mode and shifted myself (i LOVE tht.. it's so much nicer than leaving it to shift for itself and i have NO complaints about the power shift.. was alot of fun).... I flogged the car quite a bit and in my 120 miles round trip w/ about 3% town, 10% interstate and the rest back roads the trip meter on the car registers 37.1 mpg.. I'm very happy w/ that.. previous tanks of in-town driving returned 30mpg.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have almost 2300 miles and I'm getting 28-31mpg on combined city/highway driving. I have noticed a small increase in mpg's over time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
it's been in the 100's almost all of june, and it has been 100 all of july, so my AC has been working over time, and I dont see me getting great mpg until summer comes to a end.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No rattles, squeaks or speaker vibrations here. In the city I'm getting about 25-26 MPG. At 60-70 Kph on the parkway, I get 43 MPG. Highway at speed I'm getting about 33.

Get an account on fuelly to track or mileage more accurately and see what others are getting.

3000 kilometers on the car now.
are you using imperial gallons to calculate this?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree, even if there is some improvement he is not going to go from 23/26 to 30/33 or better.
Yeah, it definitely won't get that high. The testing is done under "optimal conditions". It will improve though. I'm guessing it will be about 25/35 city/highway for most drivers. A co-worker of mine bought a brand new Toyota Venza about 2 months ago. He puts a lot of miles on his car and saw the mileage improve about 4-5 mpg from when he bought it new to having 3000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same problems here with the speaker rattling and the key fob.

No problems with the gas mileage though. Is it possible you are using crappy gas?
Yeah the key remote and speakers are very annoying...you would think if I'm standing right by my car it should lock with just one press of the button, not 5. At first I thought my first remote just died but they both do it.

I usually go to the QV but I will change it up to see if I notice a difference.

Still curious about the sounds my car makes when turning the steering wheel though.[:(]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah the key remote and speakers are very annoying...you would think if I'm standing right by my car it should lock with just one press of the button, not 5. At first I thought my first remote just died but they both do it.

I usually go to the QV but I will change it up to see if I notice a difference.

Still curious about the sounds my car makes when turning the steering wheel though.[:(]
I have a titanium, so I don't use my fob all that much, but I did the other day just to see how the range was. I was surprised how far away it worked, so yeah, I would definitely check with the dealer on that one.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts