Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went into my local dealer this past Saturday to purchase a thermostat for my Ranger. I ended up driving home in a 2013 Focus Hatchback.

The car I purchased is:

2013 Ford Focus SE (5dr Hatch)
Ruby Red w/ 15.8k miles
Certified Pre-Owned

So I still have 100k mile warranty and also have 100k mile maintenance plan on the car as well. And I am concerned about a few things. I have spent a few days looking around on the site trying to gather information, but I am confused as there is alot available and asking for a bit of assistance with either where to look or straight answers.

1) Will I loose my warranty if I add a CAI and Exhaust and get it tuned?
a) If so, is it still the case if I buy Ford Racing Performance Parts and have them factory installed?

2) Those who have the mods, are you seeing better drive-ability and economy out of the car.

3) I absolutely am not the happiest with the stock Sync 6spk system. I want to change out the entire unit, even remove Sync completely as I hate how it handles Bluetooth Integration.
a) Are there cleaner replacement entertainment, the one I found looks bulky
b) Can I completely remove the small screen and SYNC or will this cause issues
c) How is the wiring for the front "4" speakers as I am thinking about a nice component setup for the front doors.

attached pictures of my barely used new car.

Blue is my mother's Explorer
Tan is my daily driver 07 Ranger

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
New owner so I can't answer your questions (sorry!) but I'm interested in what replies you get on replacing the SYNC system.

Love that color though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New owner so I can't answer your questions (sorry!) but I'm interested in what replies you get on replacing the SYNC system.

Love that color though!
The other one I had the option of getting was also a Certified Pre-Owned 2012 SEL Sedan and was seafoam green. Not to mention the 44k miles on it. I got this with less mileage for the same price.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1) technically, no. If the modification you made is the direct cause of the problem, then warranty will not be applicable.
a) Not sure, but I don't think they'll do the install for you and if they do, they'll claim it comes with no warranty so you'll be in the same situation as if you do it yourself.

2) I only have an intake + snorkel/flap delete but it does drive better, and I'm pretty sure I get better gas mileage too.

3)a) The only kits I know of for replacements are from METRA which look horrible.
b) No idea on this, sorry
c) this thread has some good info on the wiring for speakers http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276050

1) Will I loose my warranty if I add a CAI and Exhaust and get it tuned?
a) If so, is it still the case if I buy Ford Racing Performance Parts and have them factory installed?

2) Those who have the mods, are you seeing better drive-ability and economy out of the car.

3) I absolutely am not the happiest with the stock Sync 6spk system. I want to change out the entire unit, even remove Sync completely as I hate how it handles Bluetooth Integration.
a) Are there cleaner replacement entertainment, the one I found looks bulky
b) Can I completely remove the small screen and SYNC or will this cause issues
c) How is the wiring for the front "4" speakers as I am thinking about a nice component setup for the front doors.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Congrats on your new ride!
Nice color indeed...
Please, I need, deserve, an explanation, how did you go to a Ford dealer for a $25 bucks sensor OEM part and walked out with a new car?!
Hahaha
Where I come from, you might need to sign several kind of papers, Bank, phone calls, address visitors to confirm you live there, phone numbers for your job/office and relatives, Bank account, etc etc etc. and 1-2 weeks after, if you're lucky, you'll get your car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on your new ride!
Nice color indeed...
Please, I need, deserve, an explanation, how did you go to a Ford dealer for a $25 bucks sensor OEM part and walked out with a new car?!
Hahaha
Where I come from, you might need to sign several kind of papers, Bank, phone calls, address visitors to confirm you live there, phone numbers for your job/office and relatives, Bank account, etc etc etc. and 1-2 weeks after, if you're lucky, you'll get your car!
Well the dealership for one is one of the biggest in the south for fleet sales. I also bought my Ranger there back in 2006. And other family members have bought vehicles from there as well.

Here in the states you can get in and out of a dealership within a few hours if you don't have issues with credit and such. Since there was no co-signer or anything it was pretty quick for all the paperwork. I was able to call my insurance company and have the car ready to be insured.

I am going by the fact your avatar lists Mexico is why it is such different. Even between states here in the US purchasing can be different.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats on your car, that is my favorite color of all the ones available on the focus.

I too went to the dealership with a ranger and left with a 2012 focus SEL.

I don't know about a CAI but I would recommend the snorkel delete and new K&N or other performance air filter.

As for the 6 speaker system..it does lack in the sound department but it's decent enough for now. I don't care for having a touch screen.
No complaints on the blue tooth integration.

I have not made any significant changes to the audio yet. But I do plan on getting a sub and amp and replacing the stock speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just landed in a 2014 after a rather unfortunate incident with my '06 GTI. Based on some reading I went with the Steeda CAI and just as a heads up depending on your taste, it changes the sound a lot. A lot of people compare it to the Subie boxters and I could see that being about right. If I'm driving reasonably it's near silent but if you get on the gas a bit, it really wakes up. I didn't anticipate quite the change, but it's growing on me.

I talked to the local service department when I bought the car and they're fine with exhausts and intakes as long as it's not cheapo ebay parts and the installation looks reasonably well done. Tunes are seem to be a different story.. I've read mixed things and the local shop didn't want to really say much. I'll probably get mine tuned with the ability to revert to stock but it sounds like there are ways to tell regardless. Try and make friends as best you can with the service department if you're going this route.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are concerned about warranty issues just don't perform the modifications. They are of little value anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Regarding the mods and warranty, the only issue that you will really run into is the tune. Everything else can be returned to stock if you need to have major works done, and a CAI and Exhaust aren't likely to be a direct cause of most of the issues you'll face on the car. With the tune, even if it's returned to stock, the dealer will still be able to see that at some point there was a tune applied to the car and of course that's going to be a red flag to them...

With the sound system, the options are pretty slim. I can see where you'd have issues with BT (among other things; I don't care enough to change it, and as such my car will always remain stock), but with the head unit design, there is little out there. I do recall seeing some gentlemen from overseas (China, Japan, or Taiwan...can't remember) who had hacked all over the head unit, installed different screens, etc...but that was on their version of the Focus.

You'd best stick with upgrading the speakers, unless you are really adventurous; as far as I know, upgrading it to Sony/MFT isn't possible at the moment :/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking into it further I don't think I will be doing anything with the engine. I rather save my money and put it towards the payments or save it for another vehicle.

In a year or so maybe I can trade this back in on an ST or finally a WRX (Dream Car)

The stereo is something I am willing to work with, but even if I keep it for a year or two, I will have to change it as I don't want to put up with stock Sync system for that long. But keeping the factory equipment I can always put it back in place and return it factory when I sell it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you're concerned about the warranty, then just stick with modifications that you can reverse easily. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
in reply to sfhess:

"My other 1400 cars are 1/25 scale"

Awesome.
On that note my other Truck is 1/10th scale

Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate Edition (Almost everything has been upgraded) capable of 50+mph on 11.1v

1 - 17 of 17 Posts