Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a noob to the whole tune thing, I have a few questions. I tried to get a SCT XCal2 tune from FocusSport, but Randy said they did not have the database for my ECU code (PVT1) yet. While it wasn't implicily stated, I'm guessing that this is because my car is pretty new, and that info's not out there yet. That being said..

- About how long does it take for these databases to be available? My car's an '06 that I picked up in May, and I'm curious how long I'll have to wait. A month? Six months? A year?

- Does anyone else have a similar (2.0L, atx) and similarly new car that they were able to get a tune for? If so, where?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm dying to get a tune. After adding a CAI and exhaust, things just seem to be running a little rough, and I understand that a tune would help. That, and it would make the atx more livable.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Really, you should re-post this question to the Hypnotic Illusions forum and ask Wayne. He is a dealer also, and he will know how long the wait will be.

Try this: when you come home next time after the car has been sufficiently warmed, turn it off, and remove the negative from the battery. Wait 10-15 mins for the computer to clear. Replace the negative terminal, and start the car. Allow the car to idle for at least 5 minutes before driving, and then see if you still have problems with it running a little rough. You may have an issue that is not computer related like mis-gapped spark plugs from the factory that caused one FF problems some time ago.

More power to ya.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ I do have Wayne looking into it, actually. It's just that he's obviously a busy guy and can't respond right away, so being impatient I thought I'd pick everyone's brains here for some info.

I did try the battery reset trick, too- no luck. Rough might have been he wrong word to describe the issue, as well. In a nutshell, sometimes it pulls hard from a stop, other times, there's a ridiculous amount of lag b4 any power is noticeable. That and the idle is just odd after the mods. When I start up, it idles at about 1800 for a minute or so and then plunges down to around 800. Kind of disconcerting.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
well, i guss your just gonna have to wait. last night i flashed my stock tune in to my car and wow, traction control is horrible, and that limiter man, that is where i feel my car stronger (or my enigne), also my car has a hard time respondiung to WOT. i just can imagen how i could actually drive my car with the stock tune before.

it may not give you lots of hp/tq, but the way the car feels is just .... cool i guess.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Yeah, unfortunately, I think I may just have to wait. Hopefully not too long... [pray]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Did you check the gap on your spark plugs? I know it's factory, but sometimes they make mistakes. One FF had plugs gapped at all sorts of different gaps. That could cause the issue you're having. A motor needs 3 things to run: fuel, spark, and compression. Compression is not something that's going to go and come back, but either of the other two could be suspect. I suggest the spark plugs because these are the easiest to check and repair. You can also check the fuel injector connection, but I think that a loose connector would give the computer reason to throw a CEL of some sort.

A bad knock sensor could cause this problem also. If the computer detects spark knock, it will retard the timing 10 degrees for the entire engine. This will cause a drop in power you can feel. Then it will go back to normal.

·
Registered
768 Posts
yea my 06' st does the same thing some times I can go sometimes I fell like im pressing the gas but not going anywhere and theres no power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts