Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know its not legal, as in it would make you fail emissions, right? well....how much do you think a shop would charge to just replace it with a small peice of pipe... also would they even do it lol? would the gains even be worth it? i just hope it wont make it sound like crap...what do you think

oh, and what is the fine for doing that?

i'm a noob...i have a lot of questions...

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah you would fail visual and a sniffer test probably too. and i know that no shop in kansas (good ones any ways) will do it because it will come back on them and they can get in trouble for doing it in the first place. i know on cars with a single cat the gains can be up to 10 horse, but usually it is more like 2 to 5. and i dont know how it would work with the two cats. it wont make it sound like crap, it will sound about the same, but quite a bit louder. umm hope i helped

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well for some reason the shop i go to said that they have high flow cats, but even though they say its high flow they dont really do anything, and thatit would make you fail emissions, now i dont really understand that, but they said they would install one and i would have to sign some paper

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
nomoreavril said:
ok i know its not legal, as in it would make you fail emissions, right? well....how much do you think a shop would charge to just replace it with a small peice of pipe... also would they even do it lol? ...
oh, and what is the fine for doing that?
the fine can be really heavy, but the chance that you will get hit with it, is very slim.

The shop will most likely not do it, unless you were able to sign some sort or waiver saying it's for an "off-road event" taking place.

Here's some important info from random-technology regarding this.

Important Notice
To any person engaged in the business of repairing, servicing, selling, leasing or trading motor vehicles or motor vehicle engines, or who operates a fleet of motor vehicles.

Aftermarket converters may be installed in the following situations.

1. If the vehicle is missing a converter;
2. If a state or local inspection program has determined the existing converter has been lead-poisoned or damaged or otherwise needs replacement;
3. If the vehicle is more than five (5) years old or has more than 50,000 miles and a legitimate need for replacement has been established and documented. (This situation
normally would include only plugged converters or those damaged to the point where unrepairable exhaust leaks are present.)

Note: In order to establish and document that the circumstances permitting replacement of an original or missing converter with an aftermarket converter, the installer must include the customer's name, complete address, and the make, model year and mileage of the vehicle on the service invoice along with a stated reason for replacement. (Where a state or local government has determined that a converter is damaged or needs replacement, the service or repair facility also should retain a copy of the written statement or order by a proper government representative which indicates that the converter should be replaced and attach it to the invoice.)

Where the replacement need has not been verified by a proper state or local government representative, the customer and a representative of the service or repair facility must sign a statement verifying that replacement is justified

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm just wondering, how do all these people on here have crazy exhausts with no cats and stuff like that?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont have a welder or something to cut through metal with or a way to get my car up in the air lol

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
you really dont need it. all you need is a small hand saw and cut up by the rear cross member the drop both pieces form under the car. the new exhaust usually comes in 2-4 segments. this allows you to bolt it up without a lift.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I am actually having my second CAT removed tomorrow and they just want 50 bucks cash so it can't be traced back to them and they'll do it... and a few fellow focus owners tell me that you will get GOOD noticable gains... around 5-8 HP.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
nomoreavril said:
i dont have a welder or something to cut through metal with or a way to get my car up in the air lol
shop around. There are places that have 2 jackstands and floor jack for a good price of $20 for a pair of stands.
Link to Harbor Freight

and $20 floor jack.
Link to harbor freight

I've also seen both of them go for $30-$40 as a package deal from pepboys or kragen auto before.

I'm also sure you'd find a nice hacksaw there too.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm....i want to ask the shop nearby me...i've been to them about 5 times for exhausts..maybe they will do it. its the same shop that i go to for inspection though hahahah, when its time its possible to put the cat back on right? the cat wont be ruined or anything will it after being off for so long

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
nomoreavril said:
inspection though hahahah, when its time its possible to put the cat back on right? the cat wont be ruined or anything will it after being off for so long
Nope, unless you or the installer was unfortunate enough to snap both bolts on the flange, like myself.

[:)]

Use PB blaster instead of excessive torque.

·
Registered
108 Posts
if you are having an aftermarket cat put in just make sure it bolts up the same as the stock one and then you can simply switch them out for emissions test. but foci is right, lots of penetrating oil and small amounts of force (because bolts breaking = cussing, screaming, and yelling from nuckles splitting open) hehehe ive been there before and penetrating oil really stings in an open wound

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sharon where are you having your taken off at? hit me on the PM

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah hit me up too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are you all talking about the black "box" at the end of the exhaust, directly where the tip comes out of? I thought that was only a resonator. I removed mine and it makes the car sound much nicer. Not sure if there's any gains though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The SVT's dont have a 2nd cat. We have some kinda 2 stage cat I believe. Quite different then the newer Foci's.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no the cat is way up towards the front of the car before the flex pipe....

and yeah didnt work out for me, i'm gonna have to do it myself,

i went to the shop and told them that it was for an offroad event, they laughed and pointed at a sign that said 'if you dont ask me to take off your catalytic converter, i won't ask you to pay the 2500 dollar fine.' i felt stupid

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.