Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on replacing my brake shoes but I only got the passenger's side done. Tomorrow will be the other... and I'll be going after the hub nut and not the 4 bolts, too much of a pain. Plus the welded tabs on the back plate on the driver's side broke so as soon as I try to pull the drum off, the whole thing will fall off. So I have no choice but to use the hub nut.

Anyways, couple questions:

-How do I know the drum is worn out?? Mine is rusted on the outside of course, probably the original from 150K kms ago. The inside looks good though. There's a lip on the outer edge of the drum that makes it a nightmare to put back on. Is that little lip normal?

-There's an adjuster in between the pads. I didn't touch it which is probably why it made the drum hard to install (pressing the new pads past the edge of the drum). Is it ok that I installed new pads without playing with it? Will the shoes magically adjust themselves?

-Third, my ebrake feels tighter in the sense that I don't have to pull up as much. Is there some adjustment that needs to be done or is this natural?

·
Registered
175 Posts
gooooooood luck lol. after doingf my shoes once.... they squeeeeeeeek like crazy. dam drums. i didnt cut them. so now im looking at new drums, which include bearing, and studs. and wheel cylanders. lol honestly, drums are too confusing to me

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I've got an extra set of rear drum assys (not selling)....but I looked at them to see how they work. There's a spring loaded cam that does the adjusting. When you put new shoes on, you have to unload the cam before putting the drum back on.....from the looks of it. It will readjust itself automatically after pumping the brakes a few times. You may also have to work the emergency handle. That's my impression from just looking at the things....

That outer lip on the drum surface is not normal....that happens with wear/high mileage. And it makes getting the drums off very difficult. You need new drums, or to have the old ones turned.

Good luck....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts