Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my SVT Tuesday and I love it awesome car. This is my first 4cylnder car ever beside my gfs AT I drive once in a while after she had to much to drink and I have to drive her back to our place. Are you unable to Rev the engine and release the clutch on the SVT? Everytime I do that or rev above 2k accidently or meaning to while trying to get a feel it basically feel like the clutch is slipping. I had three clutches over the years old driving go out on me mostly around 100kmiles so from wear more then abuse, there no smell at all but it revs and basically no power to the wheels. If I let the clutch out all the way it seems the car almost revs to 2k on it own... it feels that way once it engages and I can take off once it does that if I build the rpms from 1k+. I heard or read the SVT hasa wierd gear set but I'm not sure if this is it. The Clutch is a spec stage 2 clutch with flywheel. It was put in at 65k and the car at 81k and the previous owner never beat on the car. It has WAYNES tune on. I'm going to switch it to stock in a few moments nad see if it still does it but does anyone have an idea? I hate to have to replace the clutch..

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
there must be something wrong. i "could" dump my clutch at 7400 rpm if i wanted to! lol, not that i would. but for launching, it sounds like ur clutch could be slipping. i'm not sure why you can't rev above 2k.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's difficult to understand exactly what your issue is....but if the clutch pedal is fully released and the engine revs without the vehicle speeding up - it is certainly slipping.

FYI, people that don't beat on cars don't install aftermarket clutches and PCM software tunes.....just sayin.... I'm sure it's been beat on....judging by the likelihood of a bad clutch after 15K miles I'd be even more inclined to believe someone whooped it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
put your car in 5th(or 6th in your case) If it doesnt kill the car, the clutch is slipping.

if its a stock clutch try starting at 2 and going up. when my clutch is hot it spins even at 2k rpms so dont try popping the clutch after beating it up :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put it back to stock and didnt notice much diffrence... But I put it on the street tune I guess it was on HWMPG tune and that took care of the problem. I just had other clutches go out on me it sounds like a clutch going out when I type about it but it doesnt feel like one in person. A slipping clutch no matter what it slips reguardless of how much rpms I give it did that on my Cobra at 100k within 10miles of sliping it went to not even being able to engage the clutch at all, also no smell at all of a burning clutch if I am ez on it no issues as long as it engaged I can smash it and it picks up....

Edit: It seems like the pot is calling the kettle black, if this was someone else post I would scream clutch also It just I don't know much about tunes and if it effects clutc engagement plus this is my first hydrolic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far after doing more reading and checking out the website, I read alot about slipping of a clutch like it isn't a big deal. Is this normal to have a little slip of the clutch in first gear? I am hoping that I don't have to replace it since a little good news that others have issues with aftermarket clutch make me feel like it just happens. Everyone one says there cutches have less slip.. I my other world of cars your clutch should never slip... Is this just realtly in the Focus world?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
no, the clutch should never slip in any gear whatsoever

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
my pre-tsb clutch would slip if I tried to launch it. My tsb cluch grips like mad
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was supposly a Spec Stage 2 Clutch w/Flywheel put in at 65k now it at 81k I put 250miles on it with driving back.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i don't know if you need a new clutch. if it slips, then i'd say yes!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Spec Stage 2 is what I have as well. I love mine, but it's a Kevlar clutch.

http://www.specclutch.com/products

Kevlar clutches will glaze over if abused. Basically if you slip them a lot, it over heats the disc and permanently changes the surface of the friction material. If you go out and practice launching on a Kevlar clutch and slip it a lot that will definitely heat up the disk and risk glazing it over.

Once a kevlar clutch glazes they will always slip, no fixing that. Really the only way to get by is never try a hard launch and drive very easy until you can get the clutch replaced. It might let you stretch out some time to save money for a clutch, but really, it's time for a new clutch. More slipping is making it worse.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it has been slipping like this since you bought it, sounds like the previous owner toasted the clutch before he/she sold it. As long as you can drive you can still limp around with it for a while, but keep in mind any time you feel the clutch slip when accelerating you are makign the problem worse.

I limped my last Spec Stage 2 clutch around for a few months, and just didn't hit the gas hard when accelerating in gear so it would not slip. For what it's worth I got ~75k miles out of my first Spec Stage 2 and that was with a lot of downtown Washington DC traffic.

So it is certainly not an issue with the Spec product as much as it's an issue of an abused clutch. The spec Stage 2 will easily hold tight in all gears at all RPMs, so if your clutch is slipping while in gears it's almost certain your clutch disc is glazed.

If you can find out if you have a regular steel flywheel or a light Al flywheel that will help with cost estimates. I think my second Spec Stage 2 was ~$540 plus ~$80 for the "friction pack" which is basically the steel surface that bolts to my 12 lb Al flywheel.

ALSO: When you get it replaced, Kevlar clutches take about twice the time to "wear in" as a organic clutch. Spec recommends ~600 miles of mixed driving before you try a hard launch with slipping to ensure all the surfaces have bedded in properly. Similar to how brake pads need to bed into the disc. I had a bunch of highway driving, so I gave it 1k miles before trying any real fun with my new clutch.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions, my stock clutch failed at 45k so I got a Spec Stage 2, and replaced that with another spec stage 2 at 120k miles, so I have been through it all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*raises hand* did you turn off the traction control?
Yeah I did it on and off, but the problem oesnt really exist anymore I drove it every da the last week and I am use to the engage point and rmps needed not to slip so, I havnt slipped it for 4 days which is good imo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
a yes i learned my lesson with the kevlar clutch and slipping on them, i learn to drive standard on my pops 99 cobra and destroyed his clutch. He explained to me in detail what happened and ripped me a new one (verbally). Then he started laughing and said its not your fault, i beat the crap out of it. Gotta love fathers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts