Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I got fr head and a fr zetec intake manifold would I see good gains off those . Question 2, Since there from ford racing would a dealership put these on. Question 3. Also would toms kit work with the manifold . I dont like that plastic mani.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The FR head is a good head to get, but you don't really need the intake manifold untill your making more power. The FR intake manifold also requires some machining to fit on the head.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
No most likely a dealer won't install the parts unless its a FRPP dealer.

The head will show nice gains no matter what parts your using.

The FR intake manifold requires some work to make it fit. It is better for high revving high powered NA cars.

·
Registered
732 Posts
What focal means by "It is better for high revving high powered NA cars." Is that the FR intake manifold starts to show gains after 7000 rpms which kinda makes it pointless to get unless you start making higher rpms.

Focal what is the difference between the FR intake manifold and the FC intake manifold? Besides the fact that the FC manifold requires use of a 70mm T/B and that the EGR is deleted. Is the EGR deleted on the FR mani also?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
No, the egr isn't deleted on the FR intake.

The FR intake shows gains in more than just above 7000 rpms.

The FR intake has longer runners I believe then the FC piece.

Btw, as soon as you use cams etc your power goes up in the rpms.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh ok, so doesn't that mean that the FC manifold give more low end power? I'm not sure so don't hassle me. Yeah, going to a dyno shop and custom tuning a diablo or SCT chip and correct cam timing setting can raise the RPMs also.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC said:
Oh ok, so doesn't that mean that the FC manifold give more low end power? I'm not sure so don't hassle me. Yeah, going to a dyno shop and custom tuning a diablo or SCT chip and correct cam timing setting can raise the RPMs also.
There isn't a huge difference in the runner length so no, not necessarily.

Not sure what your talking about on raising the rpms? Adjusting cam gears can change the power band but very little.

When you start using cams and ported heads etc, your usable powerband really starts to go up.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh ok, well damn those magazines cause that's where I got the information about the mani's, that a shorter runner lenth will do this and a longer runner length will do this. Ok, well see I'm working with Mcnews on my "project" and asked him about the FR intake mani and since he said it was worthless untill 7k, I asked how you could get it so you can get past 7k (I asked something like that) and he said custom tuning at a dyno shop of diablo or sct chips and correct cam settings can improve it. Kinda hard to remember what he really said for sure but it was something like that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so will the head be okay for toms turbo kit ?
or will it raise the compression . Or does it matter.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I am sure the FR intake has to give some gains thru the rpm range.

The stock FR head is unmilled so compression doesn't change.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The FR Intake makes power before 7000 but gives up some bottom end. This intake starts to come on (depending on setup) 6000 to 6500 and can pull well over 7000. I don't think the gain up to 7,000 is enough to compensate for loss of bottomend. 7,500 is reasonable then you run into other issues.

For a turbo its good.

We will be doing more testing with this intake very soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts