Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have picked out a euro grille and I would like to add the locking latch. So with that said I found a euro bonnet latch, a "barrel repair kit" (has the lock cylinder and a piece that connects to the other latch), and a blank key.

Can the key and lock cylinder be "cut" at a ford dealer in the US? or should I find a locksmith or deal with a UK Ford dealer?

Also my used focus didnt come with a FOB. So Im wondering are the FOB chips the same? For example could i get a flip euro key FOB (if there are those?) and program it for my american focus? This way I could have a FOB and bonnetkey altogether. I might even have a FOB laying around here from another focus that I could use the chip from if I need to.

Hope this makes some sense. I couldnt really find anything by searching. just some posts with expired pictures :/

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i got mine as a used set from ebay.co.uk. the keys are unique little transponder keys. not sure who can cut them and a doubt a ford dealer can. check out your local locksmith.

what you could do is wait around on ebay.co.uk like i did and wait to see if someone is selling a used bonnet lock with key.

maybe someone has a little bit more info, but not many of us have done this mod. not many at all.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^^kudos to dean for doing the mod!!! I had a clear green/yellow key before it had the little transponder in it. You could see I thought it was cool lol Dean I don't see you much on here or anywhere. We miss ya at the meets! I can really make you car look good now hahaha just park it next to mine. Euro beauty and the best lol

·
Registered
674 Posts
Here is what ya need? I bought mine brand new from a uk dealer. I was gonna get one used but I was told they may be a little stiff from being in the salvage yards and stuff. And as far as the key, its nothing I have ever seen before, Epecially here in Canada!! LOL

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'll just echo what the previous posters have said. I've converted my entire car to Euro locks and I bought the whole set (including 2 matched keys) off Ebay UK for like $60 US.

You won't need to swap any transponders or chips if you are just using it as a hood key. Actually, you don't need to swap any chips so long as you aren't doing the ignition cylinder, and even if you do do the ignition cylinder, it is possible to pull the PATS chip out of your current keys and insert it into the Euro key.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Try contacting fordpartsuk.com and see if maybe they can help out. i know they have helped some members out with some things in the past or just keep an eye out for a used set on ebay.co.uk. yall latches look all clean and newish. mine came from what looked like a focus that had caught on fire and it was dirty as hell! haha

^^^kudos to dean for doing the mod!!! I had a clear green/yellow key before it had the little transponder in it. You could see I thought it was cool lol Dean I don't see you much on here or anywhere. We miss ya at the meets! I can really make you car look good now hahaha just park it next to mine. Euro beauty and the best lol
i know! im more just browsing than posting haha. i will be going to this sundays meet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice pictures Islandfocus and slipster! Deaner, I got a quote from fordpartsuk and they were very helpful.

Islandfocus did the uk dealer just cut the keys for a random uk focus vin?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have found a complete lock set. And I'll just buy the latch from fordpartsuk.

Ive swapped my ignition cylinder before when I changed columns once. Is the ignition cylinder is easy to swap? Im very familiar with the pats system and can put a chip in the other key or other methods.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I may have found a complete lock set. And I'll just buy the latch from fordpartsuk.

Ive swapped my ignition cylinder before when I changed columns once. Is the ignition cylinder is easy to swap? Im very familiar with the pats system and can put a chip in the other key or other methods.
Yes, it is extremely easy to swap. If you've taken out the ignition cylinder before, you'll have no problem with this one. Installs the same way as the stock US one. Only thing I found (but it may just be the way I did it) is that the Euro ignition cylinder did not work with the little rubber grommet that goes around the shroud by where you pull the key into it. The cylinder itself looked to be a little fatter than the US counterpart.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! and the door and, in my case, the trunk are pretty straightforward?

I wonder if I could attach the fuel door lock somehow to the glovebox! hmmm

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Doors are pretty straight forward. The steps in the Hayne's manual are sufficient for removing them. The trunk was the only one I found troublesome.

the trunk lock cylinder is the larger one in the third row next to the keys.

The cylinder is part of a larger unit which includes the latch and bolted inside the rear of the trunk lid. Unbolt the entire unit and remove it. See the little protrusion off the right side of the cylinder in the above picture? There is a locking pin inside that, which will prevent you from removing the old lock cylinder from the larger unit. You need to file the top off of that protrusion on the OLD lock cylinder (using a hand file or a grinding wheel). You'll work it down till you have a little shaft appear and you can shake the pin out. The old cylinder will then twist off of the latch unit. Put the NEW lock cylinder in its place and turn it until the pin locks it into place. Reinstall the unit into your trunk.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
glad to see its starting to work out. door and trunk should be straightforward as it will be the same as the hood latch. i believe the transpoder is really for ignition. key to a glove box? you may as well get a lock box instead haha

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
opps didn't know the trunk was that much trouble. scratch trunk out of my post ha

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesn't seem too hard I think Im going to go with this grill: The chrome is prolly not for everyone but I kinda like it haha

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice pictures Islandfocus and slipster! Deaner, I got a quote from fordpartsuk and they were very helpful.

Islandfocus did the uk dealer just cut the keys for a random uk focus vin?
I got everything you see brand new including the key. They set the key to match for me. I got mine from a dealer in the uk as well. It cost me $100 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
opps didn't know the trunk was that much trouble. scratch trunk out of my post ha
Don't let that dissuade you from doing the trunk! I really is only a 5 minute job to rip out of the old locking pin once you know how its done [thumb]

·
Registered
478 Posts
in the US, for the new Transit they are using that same European style key, and a friend at the dealer says they have to send of to the UK to cut them. The service is aparently quite pricey, and all they have to do is cut the key to the pre-existing code, so I dont know if they could even do it for the tumbler you have.

It would probably cheaper to do what Island Focus is suggesting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea I found a whole set of new keys and locks on ebayuk. Thats funny about the transit key, I noticed some of those on ebay.

It will be funny when I put all these locks in and take it to a dealer to have a fob thing made. I have to reprogram since I only have one key.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts