Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 ZTS Auto Trans

Changed the passenger side axle today. Once I removed all the brackets and stuff - it just slid right out - no 'pop' or prying - from the transaxle. So I just slid the replacement back in - again no 'pop' or click when I put it in, but when I went to tighten the axle nut, the wheels are turning freely - and the car is in park. The wheel did not turn when I took the old one out. Am I missing something?

Also - does anybody have any tricks for removing tie rod ends and wheel bearings without wrecking them? I wrecked them both with a pickle fork and had to order new ones, so I can't finish this job until tomorrow now.

Could somebody who has done this job let me know if I did something wrong...

Eric
2000 Focus ZTS

·
Registered
165 Posts
When you are pushing the new axle in push and turn, then perhaps you will hear that pop you are looking for, push as far as you can then it should only take a tiny bit of turning, you just have to get the splines to line up. To actually take the wheelbearing out, I think there is a big Snap Ring you have to take out(never actually done a focus) but i DO konw you need an Arbor press to press them out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts