Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See i have a 2001 ZX3, i have just the header & intake, and im thinkin to put a racing clutch...... what about if a put this on my zx3 HIA Tuned XCalibrator 2....do ya think i can beat a stock Focus SVT?????.....what can i put on my zx3 so i can beat a SVT?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The SVT has a higher CR than a base Zetec, which equates to more power. You're going to need a whole hell of a lot more than just an intake, header and a tune to beat a stock SVT...I would say (minimally) you'd need full exhaust with either a race header, ORP or high-flow cat, intake, cams, cam gears and a dyno tune before you'd even get close. To actually beat one you'd either need some form of forced induction (turbo/supercharger) or a Ford Racing head milled to raise compression with stage II/III cams, cam gears and a good dyno tune (in addition to I/H/E.)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ska isnt downing your car or anything, but is telling you the truth. The svt's are way beyond a standard zetec. Ive seen some very good running zetec but not one that could run with a svt without FI. My sons S2, thats in my gallery, even after we did the MTX75 swap couldnt out run my stock svt. His had the JRSC base kit, drag cams, throttlebody and 70mm maf, full exhaust and header and a sct chip dyno tuned. We ran them a week after i bought my svt new and could take him by 2 full cars lengths in the 1/8th. Could have been the drivers too (he will kill me for that one, lol)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dang, I knew the SVT was a beast, but beat the Zetec even with the Jackson racing S/C. I may have to rethink my vehicle spending.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
The base Zetec JRSC uses an anemic Eaton M45 blower that's better suited for a 1.4-1.6L engine. I've always been of the opinion that the JRSC is a waste since it only raises your HP by 40 at the wheels and even less torque. Case in point, they use a much larger M62 blower on the SVT JRSC that actually does what its supposed to. You could put a milled FR head on with the right cams and tuning and see the same numbers (if not higher) N/A.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was actually just thinking the same thing when I hear the JRSC doesn't even put u past an svt. Sign me up for port/polished shaved head over the SC anyday

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Bear in mind you'd also need a free-flowing intake and exhaust, plus cams, cam gears and a dyno tune to hit the 150-160 WHP mark. Goat Roper had a setup similar to what I'm planning and I believe he was making close to 170 at the wheels N/A running stage III FR cams. I'm looking at 10.6:1 CR with a Ford Racing head with Crower or Crane stage II cams, plus a 2000 ported IM with all of the mods I already have (OBX 4-2-1, 2.5" flex into SVT Borla catback, Volant, 65mm TB, LSD & aluminum flywheel.) I initally wanted to get Tom's stage 1 turbo kit, but he's not doing that anymore and nobody offers a turbo kit for less than $2500 so I'm going for the next-best thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if a put this thing on my zetec [HIA Tuned XCalibrator 2] is going to be the same? Cause when im doing like 110-115 my car wont go no more then that? so what can i put to go more then that?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
A flasher would allow you to remove the speed limiter, but its not going to make your car any faster.

If you haven't heard, HIA is sort of out of it right now...there's a bunch of people who have paid for xcal2s and other items and have been waiting since the start of August. You might want to look elsewhere or wait until Wayne gets his stuff together.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
A flasher is what the xcal2 is. It re-writes the base map on your ECU and allows you to fine-tune your engine. Not really worth it if you have a stock/mostly stock engine because there's little or no gains to be had with the stock setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts