Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what mileage should the cam/serpentine belt be changed?
Is this the best time to go to underdrive pulleys?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
My dad has always said 60,000 miles for pretty much any car. Alittle prevetative matienance can save you in the long run.

·
Registered
958 Posts
those r 2 different belts arent they? the cam belt is the timing belt for the engine and the serpentine belt is the accessoy drivebelt

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be right....just thought while in there,change to underdrive and cam timing replacemens as well.
Hey BigRed...where are you gettng a hi flow cat from?Is it a direct replacement for the factory cat?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I looked in the manual and Ford says to replace the timing belt at 120K miles. Thats kinda nuts considering you normaly do it between 60-75K. But thats what the schedualed mantinence is for it. What sux about rubber timing belts is that they brake w/out warning, unlike a timing chain that will squeel when its worn out. If it goes befor that 120K your in for a world of hurt.

·
Registered
958 Posts
^^^why? [confused]...all that would happen is that the belt breaks...the car gets towed...u put a new one on...and u now know how long it takes before it breaks...the motor is non-interference so no valve train work or damaged pistons, etc...im not feeling the hurt [;)]

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the belt beaks,the car wont start....Ive owned other Fords (EXP) that after this happens and you try to re-start the engine,major engine damage occurred to the valve and pistons.Would this still happen to our Focus?
Whats non-interference?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Replace it before 80k.It's not that hard of a job.I just did one on a 2000 with 82k that was towed in.It did not break,but lost about 20 teeth and would not start.I know they say these are non-interference motors,BUt I have personally seen them bend valves if the belt snaps at the dragstrip.[mecry]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I have 122K miles on mine so I guess I should look into getting it changed. Same thing with the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
958 Posts
breakaway said:
I know they say these are non-interference motors,BUt I have personally seen them bend valves if the belt snaps at the dragstrip.[mecry]
what engine mods had they done?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for normal driving though....it wont wreck the engine if it snaps,correct?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts