Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I am running projector headlights with regular bulbs. The light output is not what I was hoping for so I am looking at buying an HID kit. However, I am somewhat scared to do this...do they burn hotter than regular bulbs? Do I have to worry about melting my headlight housing? Also, what is the best color temp. to get?

Any help would be great!

Thanks for looking.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
they actually burn cooler then regular bulbs cause they put off less heat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had HID's in my projectors for about a year now and even though the projectors came with a warning label "do not use with HID bulb" they're working fine, nothing has melted and yea they emit less heat than regular ....

6000K imo is the best color ... gives more light output than 8 or 10k and still has that hint of blue in it ... 8K is nice i guess but a just a little too ricey

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
they will work fine. get which ever color you like. the best light output will be around 4-6 thousand kelvin. the higher you go the cooler the spectrum. most ppl get 8000k for the blue look. lower than 4000k and you get a warmer light like yellow. just be sure to aim the lights lower with the hid's. pm me if your interested in a hid kit.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I put 8000k in my lights, they look good. Does anyone have pics of how to adjust the low beam on the ebay mach a likes??

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
there are phillips heads on each side of the rear of the low beam. i forget which is up/down and side/side. same goes with the highbeam. although the highbeam has metal knobs.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I know the high are flathead stud looking screw adjustments. The low beam has a screw i see on the top left of it, but i dont see the other one. I'll find it unless u have a pic u could show me....[;)] Also, what is that open and close valve or whatever with the long stud sticking out in the middle of it for?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
the way to adjust the mach-a-likes up and down is the thing on the back side at the bottom of the headlights. the easiest way is to pull the plastic thing out and twist the rod and watch the lights on a wall. adjust accordingly and pop the cap back on when desired height is found. i found it easiest to lay on the ground under the front of the car. its much easier to reach.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Oh. Well it's hard for me to even put my head under my car cuz it's lowered..... But u just loosen that star shaped knob and turn the stud in the middle?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i am thinking about getting a 10,000k or 12,000k HID kit for my projectors...does anyone have anything they would like to say...like draw backs to either of those...which ones better...or their personal experiance?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I would stick with 6000k or possibly 8000k, but would not go any higher than that. Any higher than 8000k and you begin to see substantial decreases in lumens as you rise on the kelvin temperature range.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
^correct. the 8000 are a nice brightness but have the blue hue for the cool factor but any higher kelvin than that and you lose light due to the dark color temp. if your more interested in function over form like most here i would stick with 5000-8000k for the most useable light.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What's the easiest way to adjust the lowbeam? i tried using a socket but i dont anything smaller than 4mm...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i used a small box end wrench or a small crescent wrench.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
^^^What size was the box end wrench exactly??

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
mm, cant remember. it was a friends car and its been several months back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts