Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in a post a while back, but I was never able to confirm. Anyone know if the factory head unit drops off the bass as volume increases past a certain point? If so, is there a way to defeat this feature? Also, anybody have any idea how I could get in touch with the engineers at Ford who would be able to give me this information? (and a couple other things)

Thanks

-Justin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chances are you will not be able to bypass this. Though, I seriously doubt that this would be a built in feature of the factory head unit.
I know a bit about audio systems. If you think that the bass is dropping off with higher volumes. It probably is. Let me explain: When a signal is sent from an amplifier to an output, (a set of speakers) the power is somewhat mantained throughout all frequencies. Of course this is dependent on the graphic EQ, so you have some control. However, in extreme cases like when you are reaching the top end of your power, the power will be distributed to all frequencies. This means that power will be taken away from low frequencies (which are probably hogging most of the power) and added to the mid range and higher frequencies.
For this reason, people choose to use crossovers and seperate amps for highs, mids and lows. This will help to eliminate the effect you are hearing.
If you think about it, low frequencies definitely use the most power. I am sure that you have seen a 5" woofer move in/out when producing sound. This will obviously take more power than a tweeter moving, which is only 1 and 1/4" diameter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting point, I might be seeing clipping of the amp in the head unit. I hadn't thought of that. Yes, I have an amp running high-level inputs tapped off the rear speaker leads. The reason I brought it up, is that another member mentioned this in a thread. I was not able to get to the bottom of it at the time. Interestingly, past say 10 on the volume, volume increases with little increase in bass. However, I can go into the EQ and raise the bass level from 0 to say 2 or 3 and then the bass picks back up to what you would expect it to be. I guess this would dispute the clipping theory.

In any case, I did some more research and found that Blaupunkt is the manufacturer of the OE head unit, so I sent their tech support dept. my question (along with a couple others). Heh heh, I'll bet that email went straight to the trash can! Techie thinkin "dork! don't waste my time!" LOL (I would know... I did tech. support for a manufacturer of CNC router tables, we got some wild ones!) [paranoid]

Thanks for the help [thumb]

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, it does have a clip feature, and yes, you can turn it off.

When the unit is on, press and hold the "Menu" button until you enter the extended menu. Pressing "Menu" repeatedly after that will let you scroll through the different items. One of them will be "Clip". Press "Seek" up or down to turn it off or on.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I found this out when I put an amp and sub in a friends Focus. Adjusting the Clip feature made it sound awesome. My uncle whose a Ford Tech, told me about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dam! You had me pumped for a sec. but I had no luck with this. I pressed and held for a good 20 seconds, and got a whole lot of nothing! The system was on (both by using the accessory position at the ignition, and by using the 1hr timeout feature w/out the key), and I tried in both radio and CD modes.........

I have the single CD reciever, which head unit did this work for?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh, sorry, mine is a 6 disc too, I guess it just works for that one then, and not the single disc model.

They say that the "Clip" feature is there to "prevent distortion", but all it does is cut the low bass tones. Things sound so much better with it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
HTRFOCUS, can you send us any info that the Blaupunkt team sends you, assuming they send a reply? I have the single CD/MP3 Blaupunkt head unit. I do not have the clip on/off feature.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure thing... Although I wrote them Sunday, and at wednesday now there has been no reply. I will try to harass them by phone this time.

Let you know if I find anything. [thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
the six disc is definately different....try driving (30mph will do fine) with the radio on and then hit the menu button twice. You should see something like "avc"? It defaults to +3 and turns your stereo up and bass down to counteract road noise...just use the tune button to turn it off. The problem with this function is it sees subwoofers as road noise and auto compensates for them being on by turning them down....gotta love stock equipment!!

"AVC" = auto volume compensation or something (it's in the manual if you wanna look it up)

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
the single slot 6000CD also DEFINITELY has clipping, i know for sure because i have turned it off myself. Just have a play around, it didn't turn off first time round for me either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think the AVC feature is a "closed-loop" system, I'm pretty sure that it just accepts a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and raises the volume based on that. Now that I think about it, it's deffinatly not based on vehicular noise, because if it were, the volume would be all over the place when shifting and accelerating etc. I will try returning the AVC setting to zero though, and see if that makes any difference.

Sydney Zetec, thanks for the post, but I don't know what else I can do to "play around" with it, there are only so many buttons on the faceplate!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was just playing with my HU and looking at some features. The AVC like you said htrfocus just raises the sound when speeds are increased. I noticed when you raised the loudness feature right under avc it seemed to get the bass just a little deeper. I couldn't find another menu by holding buttons down either. I forget already what else was there. I dont know if you've tried that already, but just thought I would share.

·
Registered
59 Posts
damn, I was really hoping that there was afix for this, cant stand listing to pantera and having to keep turning it up cause it keeps droping off [mad]

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Clipping your speakers can distort them which causes heat which can burn the voice coils and kill your speakers. Just so you know. Get a $90 or $95 pioneer cd player and it'll improve your sound dramaticly. Or even a used $40 one will do the same. I used to have a 6 cd in dash radio and i thought that was pretty good, which it was, for stock, but with the new head unit it was muhc better. It's also got a 3 band eq in it, which is good for the highs that are horrible on the stock speakers (in my oppinion).

- Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried pressing and holding the menu button on my 6 disc changer and all I could do is change the clock from 12hr to 24hr time. Is there something Im missing, Id like to be able to set the clipping off and what have ya. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts