Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Hi, new guy here. I tried looking here in the forums and on Google for the answer to my question but had no luck.

On the 2005-2007 Focus, does the black grille mesh separate from the chrome grille frame?

I ask because I'm trying to find a aftermarket grille with both a chrome frame and mesh. The closest thing I've found from 1A Auto which sells an unpainted grille frame with a silver mesh.

If the mesh can be taken out without cutting I figure I can just attached it to my current chrome grille (if it will fit).

Any help is appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a seller that actually sells a replacement grille with both a chrome/silver frame and mesh that be great too. I remember seeing one on ebay once but that was way back when I first bought my car nearly 10 years ago.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes the black grill mesh will separate from the frame without cutting or anything. Just pull out the 2 screws on the top of the 2 arms of the grill that hold it to the car and pull up on the lower part of the grill to pop the 2 lock tabs off the bumper cover.

Once you have the grill off the car you will need a flathead screwdriver to remove the black mesh from the chrome frame. There are 4 or 5 spots where the black mesh clips into the frame, you will need to use your screwdriver to pull the tab up so you can pull the frame off the clip on the black mesh. You just have to slowly work around it and get all the clips released enough to where it will slide off once you get the last one unclipped. It's a little hard to explain but you can separate the mesh from the grill.

Look at my profile pic, I wanted to debadge it so I removed the black mesh all together and molded some steel mesh (basically just gutter guard) to the right shape to fit the frame and have the right contour. I paint matched the frame white and just rattle can black the grill. I made it easy to separate by using the original frame mounting tabs which is actually all part of the black center. So on mine I cut off both the upper mounting arms and the lower clips on the black center and trimmed them so they aren't noticeable, and then I made wedges that attach the steel mesh and the modified original mounting tabs to the outer frame.

Anything is possible, it just depends what look your looking for and how good do you want it to look. Unless you take the grill somewhere and get the black part truly chromed it won't look good for long. The front of the car takes a beating from road debris and rocks so paint doesn't hold up for too long before it's all chipped up. That's why I made mine easy to repaint, but if you want all chrome your best thing would be to get the black part truly chrome plated like the frame is.

What exactly do you want to do to it?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd hope not because that is just a stock one, that sounds like what he has now. I think he wants to take the black part of that grill and chrome it as well. At least that's what it sounds like to me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Phestezio

Yeah I know, my current stock grille got dins and scratches from road debris as does my front bumper and top of my hood.

I'm not too worry about it. My Focus isn't a show car but a daily commuter that I take above average care of. I use to treat it like a freaking Ferrari for the first few years after I bought it new but after getting t-bone by a truck (and having my insurance take it to a corner cutting joke of a body shop) along with just regular dins and scratches from commuting I realize I was fighting a losing battle so I'm not nearly as concern. That said I still think a chrome framed and mesh grille would look better than the super faded black mesh I currently have, even with dins. But I appreciate what you're saying though :).

That said, I don't really have the resources (or talent) to make my own mesh not to mention I actually want to keep my ford emblem as I'll eventually replace it with a black ford oval.

@ mainest
No what I want to do is a full chrome front upper grill. Basically the following put together...

If I can't get that to work than I would either considering getting the silver mesh one and seeing if my brother knew someone who can either paint the frame Silver Frost or chrome it via his car club connections.

I know chrome hasn't been the hot look for a while know but I really think its the only part of the 05-07 focus where it looks really good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I personally hate the chrome gladly my zx4 ST game with paint matched where the chrome is still gotta get rid of the center where it's silvery ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421631566.297489.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
TGS1985
I believe there is a silver version of our grill, the '05 — '07. I talked w/ my local Ford stealership, it's a good dealer because I was looking for an all black one. They showed an all silver one as well. I believe it was on a ST. Don't remember the year.
Availability from dealer will be limited due to the age. Did you try RockAuto.com? GL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhhh, so those are ST grilles. I totally forgot they made ST's without the ground package (which included painted grille's w/ black mesgh).

Yeah, probably going to have to buy the ST w/ silver mesh and get it painted to match. Appreciate the Rockauto link. They didn't have it but they're really cheap. Maybe what I can do is buy one of each, switch out the meshes and sell the unpainted one which shouldn't be too hard as that seems to be the more popular one anyways.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If your planning on buying a new grill insert anyways I would try separating the frame from the grill and either slap some fresh rusto black on it or maybe try the chrome paint that duplicator makes. You can find it at most parts stores I think it's like 8 bucks a can or somewhere around there it's supposed to be a chrome paint and not just a silver. I think it would be worth a try and see how it looks. I've used the copper plating paint they make on some other random parts and wheels with pretty good results. If it looks good with the paint you may save some money. And you can always touch it up yourself every few months as it gets dings.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just did my swap but since I only wanted the black piece and my painted frame I destroyed the chrome frame and somewhat of the silver insert
Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421792818.743189.jpg
Detaching both grills first method I clipped off all the clips holding the black piece in and it slid right out
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421792981.935280.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421793001.570223.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421793020.139639.jpg
Second method on the silver grill I clipped the little stoppers stopping the painted surround clips from u clipping from the silver mesh took a little more work to get it out but it comes out
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421793138.815203.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421793149.731640.jpg
And after
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421793171.216908.jpg
So for you I would suggest taking some flush cutters to the little stoppers you'll see them in there then just pry all the clips out and your on your way

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate the detailed pictures. Let me ask you though. Because you clamped of the stoppers how did you attach black mesh to your painted frame? Or did you just clamp them off because it was quicker and you knew you had no use for the chrome frame afterwards?

If the mesh can be removed without damaging the stoppers I think my best bet is to buy one of each grille, switching the meshes out and selling the solid black unpainted to someone like yourself that either was to paint the frame and/or mesh.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The painted mesh and black insert were in touched it's like it's the stock grill, I had no use for the chrome frame and silver grill so I cut stuff off of both those pieces to separate everything

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah the way I see it is which ever one you want to keep, destroy and/or finagle the other piece to get them apart haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts