Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm looking to buy an 2012 SE 5-door with the sports package and was wondering what the opinions were regarding the 16" wheels vs the 17". I do think the bigger ones will look better.

Does anyone have an experience with both sizes? Do the 17s improve handling noticeably and what is the effect on ride quality?

Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
from what ive experienced, 17s and up are more of a harsh ride o a foci then 15/16". i beleive theres more choice though for a 17. i personally prefer 15/16's over 17's for a better driving experience, and much cheaper tires is what it comes down to.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The 17's look much better on the car in my opinion, that's what mine has and I don't really think the ride is bad. You won't really see a big difference in handling. However, if you plan on doing aftermarket rims at all I'd just get whatever is cheapest or included.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the 17" look better too. But they still don't fill the wheel well enough for my liking. If I were to go aftermarket, I'll do 18".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm probably going to be ordering a car, so the choice is between the OEM 16 and the OEM 17. When I need tires in the future, I may upgrade the rims and use the originals for a set of snow tires. I think 18s would be a bit much for me. Call me old-school, but I don't really like the ultra-low profile tires. 50 series works for me.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It is not going to make any difference which size factory rim you go with in regards to filling the wheel wells.

Whether they are the base 15", 16", 17" or 18" the tires the factory provides are sized so the overall outside diameter remains the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is not going to make any difference which size factory rim you go with in regards to filling the wheel wells.

Whether they are the base 15", 16", 17" or 18" the tires the factory provides are sized so the overall outside diameter remains the same.
That''s true???but what about the diameter of the rims?????[rolleyes]

·
Registered
724 Posts
What about the diameter of the rims?

What I was saying is with the factory wheel and tire packages you aren't going to change the gap between the tire and fender because irregardless of the rim diameter the od of the tire is the same.

·
Registered
609 Posts
it's a crappy cell phone pic and the car isnt totally clean but heres my SE with the 17 in Enkei Ammondos. and yes the eibach pros are on the way

[/IMG]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice. Was the car delivered with 16"s? If so, how much difference did you notice in the ride and handling of the car after the upgrade?

it's a crappy cell phone pic and the car isnt totally clean but heres my SE with the 17 in Enkei Ammondos. and yes the eibach pros are on the way

·
Registered
609 Posts
yes it was, i only did it this soon because there was a customer who had an se hatch with hubcab 16's and he really wanted my stockers. So after I sold him those, it only ended up costing me 200. So i had to jump at that. If i hadnt had to buy new TPMS's from tire rack, would have been an even swap, lol

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Do 20s. Add DUB badges all over the car. Then put the stock wheels back on.

Classic [cool]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, how much difference did you notice in the ride and handling of the car after the upgrade?

yes it was, i only did it this soon because there was a customer who had an se hatch with hubcab 16's and he really wanted my stockers. So after I sold him those, it only ended up costing me 200. So i had to jump at that. If i hadnt had to buy new TPMS's from tire rack, would have been an even swap, lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
oh sorry for that, none at all really i think once i get the eibachs on there then i may notice a tad better turning.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the 17s and I rented one with the 16s. Couldn't tell a difference, to be honest. You'd have to be quite particular to notice one. The 17s seem to fit the car very nicely, because Ford has chosen a larger than average outer wheel diameter to make the 18s showcase perfectly. There is still lots of sidewall with the 17" wheels. :)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Tires for the Ford Focus 17" wheels are '50' series profile, thus no more expensive (on average) than the '55' series on the 16 inch wheels. And 17" tires are getting to be the biggest selection. though 16" are not shabby.

The 'expensive 17" or 18" tires are the '45' series tires. (ouch$) used on some other cars. Nice that the Focus can do 50 series on the 17" wheels.

So if you add 20" rims and '35' series tires.. have plenty of money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts