Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new wheels are gunmetal with a polished lip. I did some local checking and they apparently don't have the stick on wheel weights in gunmetal. I don't want the weights to stick out. So, would the typical 'pound them on' type of weight be better than a stick on that the wrong color? do I have any other options?
Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
if your talking about the clipons you could prolly ask them to clip on the side that faces the car.
though i assume the stick on would be more accurate since they are positioned closer the the center of the rotational line.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your talking about the clipons you could prolly ask them to clip on the side that faces the car.
Ya'know, I did not even think of that!

emsvitil >> I was told that paint would not stick. Think maybe because there lead(?).

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Snap-On balancer instruction booklet at the garage I hang at says that the stick on weights installed on the inside of the wheel hub are harder to balance with as they are closer to the rotational center of the wheel and have to be more exact. The weights on the inside wheel lip only is called a static balance. Both of these are not as good a balance as weights on both inside and outside wheel lips which is called a dynamic balance. I've tried all three and the dynamic is the best! As for painting your weights, the weights we use for aluminum wheels are painted (sort of a silver gray color) and the paint holds on them so I think if you clean the weights good (carb. cleaner, mineral
spirits, etc.) before painting them, you should be fine!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I work at Sears and what I do all day is mount and balance tires. I can balance wheels to zero with static, dynamic, or with the stick on weights. The stick on wieghts are just as accurate as hammer on both sides, if done right.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh! So they CAN be painted. Cool!
So I want a dynamic balance then. Prob go with the stick-on weights then if I can paint them. Thanks All! 8-D

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheels should arrive ~3rd week of Jan. I will have to call around and see who has what as far as balancing machines are concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts