Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'd like to know I'd look like a fool if I bought some Euro SVT mags (from tirerack) but didn't go all the way as to lowering the car after the new mags are installed?

Do I really have to change anything after that? Could I only buy springs and leave the OEM shocks?

My other question is; how much would the new tire size play with the speedometer?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
This is actually a good question cuz i'm at the same crossroad. For what i know if you don't get a stiffer suspension the tires will be rubbing all over, and if you keep your oem shocks, then, they won't last that longer...

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
If you match up thetire size right it should'nt affect it more than .5-1.5MPH which it's off by that much in the first place. I'm not sure if you should go for 40 or 45 height on those tires, I think most go with 45 unless you've got problems rubbing.

Umm... don't lower your car with just springs, you will have to take it all apart again after a few thousand miles anyway to put some good struts on after the stock ones are shot. Plus your ride will most likely be horrible. Might as well do it right the first time, you know? I'd go with an Eibach Pro kit if I were you, 1.5" isn't that low and you shouldn't have problems. If you want stiffness adjustability, I'm rolling on Koni shocks right now and they're absolutely great.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The 17 inch wheel, with the appropriate size tire, won't be any taller than the stock tire and wheel combo...just a little wider. The SVT wheel has the correct offset so rubbing should not be an issue with the stock suspension at all. If and when you want to lower it, its foolish to not replace the shocks at the same time. Be sure to use shocks designed for lowering springs. Using a kit like Eibach or a Ford SVT kit is the way to go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you geezer and others who replied. Can I expect some better handling by only having bigger tires? (not that the focus has poor handling in the first place!!!!)

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Uhh... maybe. I have a feeling it will have to do more with the fact that it's a quality tire than the fact that it's half an inch wider or something. When I replaced my stockers with G-Force Sports there was a huge difference, but mostly because they had stiffer sidewalls and a little stickier compound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just put my second set of 17s on my 03 zx-3 as the first set got bent due to massive potholes.This time I got the euro svts 205-17 is the same size as stock 195-15s wheels are 1 inch wider I think-but yes the real difference is the kumo ectas-very sticky compared to goodyear stockers.I have svt suspension-only 3/4 drop but they fit no problem.There is a variation in tire sizes according to brand and I think the kumos run small as the car seems lower than before or is this because they are on wider rims? whatever-mikey likes it!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
AsDcl2049 indicated a larger tire in and of itself will not improve handling. There's plenty of road racer's and autocrossers that perfer a smaller wheel and tire combo. They feel the reducing the weight (both actual wheel and tire weight) and and rotating mass is as or more important than tire size.

I agree that the quality of the tire has significant influence aon handling. Just rememeber that the optimum tire for handling may not be a good street tire as they will wear out quickly , will handle badly as temperatures go down,and are somewhat more plagued with puctures etc. A high performance all season tire is a good year round compromise.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
I dunno about what he should do in Canada... AS tires generally aren't the best for performance. If he wants performance he should probably have a set for summer and a dedicated set of winter tires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean I want the nice look but it's not for really going faster. What's also kinda stopping me is we have such awful roads in Montreal it's disgusting. Thank God they just re-did a large part of the Trans Canada (40 Est and Ouest in case one of you ever take a trip up here!) and another major highway (HWY 20 Est and Ouest) is still in good condition.

I was asking my question because I don't want the Focus to look jacked up nor I do want the suspension to wear out faster.

As for the winters up here, it just recently began to be REALLY cold (-30 C) but I would never use the Euro mags in the winter. I'd use my stock 15 inch tires for the winter. I get by just fine with all season tires in snow or icy conditions(I've never driven with winter tires). I just can't push my luck that's all.

And I really like the Goodyear RSA tires. They don't last long but I found the traction very good during the summer and just ok in the winter!

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
I say do it right the first time, if you do just springs you will have to revisit the situation in the future. I've seen so many people put on new springs and think "this is great," then 20k miles down the road their ride is terrible. If I were you I'd get an Eibach pro kit, they usually sell around $500 USD and would be a perfect compromise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually what I'm about to say will make some of you cringe, so be ready! [screwy]

I switched to 17inch wheels and tires, the store made sure the swap was as close as you can get to total diameter and it won't effect the speedometer. Then I swapped to Eibach springs and kept the stock shocks and struts for almost 45,000 miles. When I did switch to Eiback shocks and struts I did notice a difference, in the control of the 'bounce', but over all quality of ride was smaller then I anticipated.

I did run the 17inch tires for a while without lowering and some people thought it looked good just the way it was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts