Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the Zetec and atx, who has dynoed their car, what mods and what kind of power are you making? I had mine dynoed back in Sept on a Dynojet and my best pull was 94.4 hp and 99.7 torque, and that was with the hood open and the air filter box opened up. Im not gonna get her dynoed again until I meet my $1000 budget.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
i've seen pretty low dynoes off of automagic zetecs. it's all about the way it's done. i'm sure you're putting more to the ground than that. probably putting closer to 110 to the ground.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The atx tranny sucks up a lot of the power the ZETEC puts out. There are ads for turbos that say 220HP for the MTX and 180 for the ATX. That is also why you can actually add quite a bit of bolt on mods to the ATX before having to upgrade to a built ATX. The people with FI usually upgrade before installation. I have heard of people with CAI, Chip or Comp burn, intake mani, plugs and wires, full exhaust, cam gears, UDP, and 65mm TB, that are making good power with the ATX and have'nt gotten to the 140HP thresh hold of the ATX. It seems that the more you do bolt on wise and more power you start to make, the more power the ATX sucks up. The ZETEC and DURATEC Contours are the same way. As well as the SHO Taurus.

·
Registered
82 Posts
They don't call it an "auto-tragic" for nothing.....

Keep in mind that the cam timing is slightly different from car to car from the factory. Seen dyno slips as low as 98 bhp and as high as 112 with no mods. Weird...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, very weird, Im gonna get my CAI installed today and Im wondering, does the longer pipe have a tuning effect on the air coming in? that CAI's are good for mid to high rpm power and shorties are good for low end, but they are susceptible to underhood heat.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The DURATEC V6 Contours with the ATX had the same problems with the torque converter. It not only was the source for a great loss of power due to inefficiency like the one in the SHO, but it was also the source for tranny problems and eventual rebuilds of the ATX at low miles.

Lentech packages are nice. I have seen many people on contour.org with their torque converters. The problem with the Focus ATX is that it is all together weak and their are valvebodies and other stuff that would need to be done if you areplanning on put some serious HP through it. Just ask HRW, he is waiting to install his turbo set-up because he will be making quite a bit of power and needs to beef up the tranny.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I plan to get my ATX dyno'd prolly in the spring, after reading this thread I'm intrested in what the results will be. It is unfourtante that Ford would have put such a handicap on their cars by using an inefficient torque converter.

I'd be intrested in installing a new performance ATX but probably not until the existing one needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As soon as I get my flexpipe installed and order a high flow cat pipe ill post some numbers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2000sezetec said:
They don't call it an "auto-tragic" for nothing.....

Keep in mind that the cam timing is slightly different from car to car from the factory. Seen dyno slips as low as 98 bhp and as high as 112 with no mods. Weird...
It's because the cam profiles are slighty different for car-car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts