Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved this from the general discussion forum.

Tom,
Just a question on your tune. Without giving away the farm…does the tune in some way programmatically adjust clutch engagement / disengagement timing based on DCT temperature?
The reason I ask is my DCT and it looks like many others, are way worse when the trans is hot. In fact if all I got was just a 1st to 2nd shift ‘wobble’ at all times, hot or cold, I’d be ‘ok’ with it. But when the trans is hot….there’s so much shudder I’ve had to glue my wig down when pulling away to prevent it from getting thrown into the back seat and lost. Why are these gearboxes affected by temperature? Is it the clutch material doesn’t engage correctly for the upcoming gear selection when hot or the current clutch doesn’t disengage correctly, or the clutch material can’t cope with the heat.

On a more positive note, I was at Discount Tire and a virtually identical Focus pulled up next to mine….I had to ask….....

“I love it, has 75K miles on it, original clutches, no problems. The dealer told me what to expect when I bought it to be fair to them but I haven’t had any issues but I’m mostly highway miles”

I noticed a small tow bar on his vehicle.

“Yep, but I only tow light loads, like my motorcycle”

I just wished I’d gotten his autograph.

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Wow , Ok , I change over 200 things in the DCT to improve it , I change shift times ,engagement times ( 2 different things ) a little with disengagement so it shifts quicker , engagement psi , and on and on , I also make the S mode work more like I think it should and it wont shift on it own any more

You will like my Tune

Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks. I'm not sure if we will keep this vehicle, but if we do I'll likely spring for your tune. With that said though...I'd be looking for smoother 'hot DCT' shifts, so drastically reduce that shudder, try and get it to behave similarly to when it is cold. I'm not so bothered about increased performance through the gears though I know, and would expect, that to be a priority for a lot of the younger owners on the board, (that is anyone under 67). My next step is to get it in front of Ford for its 250 RPM test and then we'll see. I actually do like the car, I shouldn't after this DCT debacle but they do look and drive good.

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Im close to having them all out , keep checking your mail

You do know you can remove the custom tune from the Focus to unmarry your flasher then sell the flasher for 250-300.00 if its not married

Still loose some of the 462.00 but less then half of it , or leave it so it drives better and its worth more then 400 more , options lol

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Tom,

I sent that information to you again. Had to send it from my other email address. Some update on google has locked me out of my email. Check to see you received it. Sorry again. Can’t believe I didn’t sent the XCal ID incorrectly

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know, but for some reason I can’t access that email and it will take a few days before they reset my gmail account. I sent another email to you this morning from my Apple email account. Can you send the file there please.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts