Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends!

Just curious what kinda intakes would be optimal in our region of the middle of nowhere? *snicker*

I was thinking about goin with Volant, but I noticed it was considered a CAI and being that the weather here is as predictable as lottery numbers, well you see what I'm getting at hehe.

Thanks for reading and also thanks for any info you can help me out with!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would say you need to consider our summer weather more than the winters.

Our summers can be stifling and because of that I would avoid any type of short ram intake. You will actually lose power with a short ram when your underhood temps get hot (especially in comparison to a CAI or even the stock intake).

I personally like the Volant. With a couple of simple modifications to it, my intake air temps were running no more than 5° above ambient air temps at all times. I do reverse some of those modifications in the winter because the frigid air causes a substantial drop in gas mileage.

If you decide to go with a Volant, I've got one I'll sell. PM me if interested.

Jaspo DePue

·
Registered
209 Posts
i would say you are ok getting the volant.....no worries like that of the aem cai......the underhood temps arent a huge factor unless you drive mostly city(read stop n go)....i do mostly highway and notice a 7 degree increas in temp at the filter over the outside temp.....

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you get a CAI, remember these two words: BYPASS VALVE!!!

If you live in an area with very inefficient snow removal, I'd consider getting a short ram to slap on when the snow starts to fly. If you get snow tucked up under your bumper, say goodbye to at least the filter, if not your whole engine. The snow can disintigrate certain brands of filters...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it looks like I'm going for volant, which from what i understand is a hybrid short ram/cai kinda, so would a bypass still be something considered?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts