Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so exactly how many of the Gen3 owners on here have the 5 speed manual in their cars? probably just me but i see alot of cars w/ the auto or 'DCT', so i'm just curious about how many manual drivers are here..

·
Registered
466 Posts
My google fu is weak, but surely there has been a poll to ask such a question. If not, why isn't yours a poll?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh wow. i wouldn't have thought there'd have been a thread already in the performance sub-forum for the Gen3... i believe there was a poll but i think that was all Focus' from (99 across the pond) 00-current. i was only looking for the manual owners as opposed to seeing who owned which transmission, no? :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
oh wow. i wouldn't have thought there'd have been a thread already in the performance sub-forum for the Gen3... i believe there was a poll but i think that was all Focus' from (99 across the pond) 00-current. i was only looking for the manual owners as opposed to seeing who owned which transmission, no? :)

I've driven manual all my life up to my 1st 2010 focus.Prior to that I had a manual Saturn,great car but BORING and decided to go auto.Now.........after driving my poor mans
little Indy car I have 5 speed remorse if that counts for on topic...If I could go back it would be a 5 spd for the fun factor alone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also factory ordered my 5 speed in order to get the combination of options I wanted. Going in, I knew that the automatic had better mileage ratings by about 3 mpg. The Focus I test drove was auto and kept the engine as close to idle speed as possible at all times.

In reality, to get the most mileage out of the 5 speed you have to really pay attention to the upshift light and upshift much earlier than feels natural. I have found about a 25 percent increase in mpg by doing this, but shifting at 2000rpm all the time is exhausting and your eyes are always on the dash.

I end up forgetting about economy most of the time because the Focus is just so much fun to drive when you are more agressive with the throttle. Mileage is still pretty good and I don't mind the trade off.

i suspect most economy minded cars are set up the same way. People want more power and better fuel economy but those two things are usually at odds. The high mileage figures in ads are probably technically possible but unlikely considering the way people drive these days.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Our 5 speed was the only one on the lot that weekend we car shopped and since it was candy red and had the all important sport package it was an easy choice.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I love rowing through my 5 gears. Been rowing gears for almost 18 years.

Prior to that I had a manual Saturn,great car but BORING and decided to go auto.
Your Saturn was boring so you went auto? Hmm... That sure is a head scratcher.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sport package 5-speed, reporting in. Now with a Steeda short-throw and transmission bracket. :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
5 speed here. Only one ever sold at my dealership in fact. STS on order!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts