Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't quite understand this but why do most people like to debadge their car?

I feel like there's something missing everytime I see a car without badges... it's almost like its ugly, outcasted car or something to that effect.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I removed my badges because it helps the lines of the car flow better. It's all a personal opinion but I like the simplicity of having a clean trunk or hatch.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well for me it was a matter of maintenance, among other things which I'll mention later. While washing and waxing, MULTIPLE times I would snag my microfiber sponge on the "f" of focus, and sometimes my hand while it's all wet and skin is soft. I thought I cut myself multiple times, and just got fed up. Also I'm a perfectionist, and a little OCD, and hate when wax gets built up around badges.

Another reason is the clean lines of the new focus. Most modern cars have larger body panels with contours molded to give it distinct character. I feel the badges threw that off, and took away from the over all presence.

Yet another reason is the badges are chrome. My theme is black and yellow, with minimal chrome. The chrome badges stuck out like a zit!

And yet another, my tri-coat paint. Looking to the future, I know the paint around the badges never gets the proper care because of the difficulty of detailing that area. So to keep a consistent wear pattern on the clear coat, I removed the badges.

I hopped out of bed at 11pm one night because I was hashing all this in my head, just to remove the badges. Took all but 15 minutes. Since then, life has been grand, with MULTIPLE people stopping me from across parking lots to ask what kind of car it was, and noting that they love it. People driving by will often stare me down and give a thumbs up, and ask what kind of car it is at the stop light. Perhaps the joy of the self-esteem boost is too much to overcome the thought that "something is missing". Others don't think so. [thumb]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well for me it was a matter of maintenance, among other things which I'll mention later. While washing and waxing, MULTIPLE times I would snag my microfiber sponge on the "f" of focus, and sometimes my hand while it's all wet and skin is soft. I thought I cut myself multiple times, and just got fed up. Also I'm a perfectionist, and a little OCD, and hate when wax gets built up around badges.

Another reason is the clean lines of the new focus. Most modern cars have larger body panels with contours molded to give it distinct character. I feel the badges threw that off, and took away from the over all presence.

Yet another reason is the badges are chrome. My theme is black and yellow, with minimal chrome. The chrome badges stuck out like a zit!

And yet another, my tri-coat paint. Looking to the future, I know the paint around the badges never gets the proper care because of the difficulty of detailing that area. So to keep a consistent wear pattern on the clear coat, I removed the badges.

I hopped out of bed at 11pm one night because I was hashing all this in my head, just to remove the badges. Took all but 15 minutes. Since then, life has been grand, with MULTIPLE people stopping me from across parking lots to ask what kind of car it was, and noting that they love it. People driving by will often stare me down and give a thumbs up, and ask what kind of car it is at the stop light. Perhaps the joy of the self-esteem boost is too much to overcome the thought that "something is missing". Others don't think so. [thumb]
Awesome reply...was toying with the idea of debadging my SEL and I think your logic just convinced me!

·
Registered
472 Posts
uhhhh I hate to tell you this dude, but hopping out of bed at 11pm so you can remove badges that you were obscessing over is more than a "little" OCD LOL! I agree with most of your point tho. I will have to see mine in person before I make the decision.

·
Sonic Crew #016
4,313 Posts
Yeah i might debadge mine but i need to see a sedan picture to see if it looks good i fear it would be to plain mabye just make them black. i don't know.lol

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I was contemplating debadging... but I don't know, just can't bring myself to do it, lol. Don't know why, it was the same with my Mazdaspeed 3, just couldn't pull it off for fear that someone would think it was a regular 3 (it offends me when my friends riced out Mz3 is mistaken for a Speed3, so I didn't want it the other way around, lol)

but with the Focus... maybe... a lot of my MS3 forum buddies give me flack for it still, "it's just a Focus, blah blah blah" "even though its fancy it's still just a Focus" you know... and I just tell them they're ignorant and to tell me that when they've actually driven one. But having people ask me what kind of car it is IS tempting...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
removed mine because
1.) cars red and black
2.) looked better
3.) makes it harder for people to know what car it is
4.) easier to wash/clean

and for the mazda people, they do know the focus and mazda 3's share ALOT of the same parts right? so you could say they just have a focus in a different shell.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome reply...was toying with the idea of debadging my SEL and I think your logic just convinced me!
I'm good at logic. I write it for a living. [8D] We look forward to having you in the Drive Naked Club! [giddy]

uhhhh I hate to tell you this dude, but hopping out of bed at 11pm so you can remove badges that you were obscessing over is more than a "little" OCD LOL!
I had a feeling someone was going to call me out on that. LOL! I am totally aware. [hihi]

And here's firestoned's sedan debadged with the tinted tails for you sedan lovers that are thinking of debadge. LOVE THEM TAILS MAN! [thumb]

·
Sonic Crew #016
4,313 Posts
Ok i think i'm sold looks nice and clean. thanks dude.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Focus 'Drive Naked Club' would be an interesting decal - perhaps something for the Forum moderators to consider - lol!
Maybe "Debadge-and Drive Naked", huh huh? It's catchy yes? lol Thanks for the props man. lol [thumb]

Ok i think i'm sold looks nice and clean. thanks dude.
Heat gun/hair dryer, plastic tool or fishing string/dental floss, and rubbing alcohol. Re-wax, and enjoy. [8D]

·
Registered
33 Posts
id say for three main reasons:
-Lower profile car (generally draws les attention from cops and such)
-unique look because most people would now what car is what w/out badges
-when you pull up to a tuner or v8 and your car says turbo right on it the other person has an idea what they're dealing with. without that "turbo" emblem they think they're gonna win... haha. just a nice suprise factor

·
Sonic Crew #016
4,313 Posts
Debadged looks sooo good. now i don't know what car i drive.lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Debadged looks sooo good. now i don't know what car i drive.lol
There you go! Once you have it smooth, there's no going back. [grinking]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Maybe "Debadge-and Drive Naked", huh huh? It's catchy yes? lol Thanks for the props man. lol [thumb]

Heat gun/hair dryer, plastic tool or fishing string/dental floss, and rubbing alcohol. Re-wax, and enjoy. [8D]
Rubbing alcohol is seriously safe to Use on the paint?

·
Registered
472 Posts
There you go! Once you have it smooth, there's no going back. [grinking]
cars aint the only thing that this applies to [hihi] [hihi] [hihi] [hihi]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts