Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you put your wheel back on what is the torque ft. lbs. that you are supposed to tighten the lug nuts to? I need to know because I am installing my pulley tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I think it's 100 ft/lbs. It's pretty safe to say you can just tighten them as hard as you can with the lug wrench. That's what I do and I haven't had one fall off yet.

Do you honestly think that anyone that works on your car actually measures the torque? They just use an air wrench, they don't measure.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm a girl. If mine haven't fallen off yet, I doubt yours will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem with torquing the lugs as tight as you can is not that they will fall off, but more that they will be too tight and warp your rotor, or worse. If you have never experienced a warped rotor from this, it is a very annoying shudder when you are braking. Not a good thing to have happen. It is definately more common when you get some dumb-arse with an impact gun, but if you do go overboard it could theoretically happen with a long enough torque arm. It is fairly safe to say that 90-100lb/ft is enough. Besides, a good clicker or beam torque wrench is a good thing to have.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I do about 90-95 on mine.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
can someone explain to me how an over-tightened wheel can warp a rotor? i've heard this before, but no one seems to definetely explain why.

Haynes Repair Manual recommends 94 ft.lbs

Mike

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
I agree, a torque wrench is a good investment especially if you have custom wheels which should be checked periodically. Besides, I don't want some airhead hammering away at my car with an air gun then you get a flat one day and even the Hulk couldn't budge the lug nuts. I torque mine at 95 lb-ft.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
whiteboyslo said:
can someone explain to me how an over-tightened wheel can warp a rotor? i've heard this before, but no one seems to definetely explain why.
Not nesecarrily overtightened, but not equally tightened. If some were at 80, and some at 120, it could warp the rotors. Usually happens when a shop/person puts lugs on with an impact, but doesn't do it consistantly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The spec from Ford is 85 ft-lbs.

If you exceed this to 100ftlbs or more, you run two possiblilties: the lugs will snap sometime down the road (which can warp the rotors), or if you get a flat and not be able to remove the wheel (this is the most common complaint from the AAA).

Some yahoos at Walmart-style garages love to over-tighten with hydraulic impact tools. I always re-torque to proper specs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts