Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been readin threads here about this, but i have a few questions that i have not seen:
1. do i need to buy a new gasket and if so, where can i get one??
2. what would happen if i did not use primer and did a black base coat?
thank you
oh, and of course---[pray] [ffrocks]

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
1. no... your car is still new enough where the gasket can be re-used and isnt squished yet.

2. the paint would probably peal easier than normal.. primer is formulated to give paint an adhesive surface to cling to more easily.

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks honhon. so, do i take it out when i paint it or not?? and how about if i prime it, then use a black? or would it still peel??

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
yeah, you'll have to take the valve cover off the engine when you paint it... you'll want to clean it really really well to get any grease or grime off of it...

then scuff it up pretty good with sand paper, then spray 2 light but decent coats of primer, then lightly sand after they have dried, then spray a couple of decent but light coats to build up the regular paint... then you should probably clear it also... then sand, and then clear again if you want a smooth finish.

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, i ment take the gasket out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i would. You shouldnt get any paint residue on it. Just set it on some clean newspaper.

Make sure you get sandable primer or you'll not have a fun time trying to get it smooth after you've started lol. Using some lacquer thinner then a good dish soap cleaning does a good job at removing any grease/ oil from the cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mikeF2D, hey i dont know if you saw my thread on painting a SPI valuve cover, but I did use high heat primer and paint, also i bought a second valuve cover so i could take my time not f it up and still have my car to drive or take it out. thrid i would buy a new valuve cover gasket! i didnt and then when i reinstalled it, it did not seat right then i spwed oil everywhere and had a hell of a mesto clean up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts