Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently traded in my much loved 02 wagon for a 10 SE sedan, I have since found out that a lot of people have trouble with rear wheel bearings Lucky me I am one of them. I am about to replace the drums and bearings, my question is this a friend has a o4 SVT with rear disk breaks, is it possable to or worth buying the rear assembly to replace my drum breaks with the disk brakes from the 04?

Thanks in advance
Grimm

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
cheaper and easier to buy the massive kit unless you find a hellava deal on all the parts your going to end up paying the same if not more for it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.

You can find more on the swap in this section, very popular conversion but BEST with SVT or other larger front brakes.

Not good IMHO with stock front brakes, for those you'd want the smaller rear discs to match. It's not bad to put larger fronts on with stock rears, the reverse can make the rears touchier than is good (rear lockup before front).

EDIT: Revise that, I'm seeing your putting them on a '10 so the fronts are larger than the '02 - that'll work.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Could use the advance track or '05-'07 st w/ 10'' rear brakes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Lots of information here about the swap, but it's scattered and you'll have to search to find it. I did the conversion using the rear discs from a 2005-2007 ST. Those are the smaller discs. Personally I agree with Sailor, I wouldn't feel comfortable having the stock fronts with the SVT rears, although I have heard from another contributor here that he ran that unmatched setup and never had any problems with the back end coming around.

Toby

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I had the SVT rears with stock 07 fronts for a few months. I never had any noticeable issues with braking. iirc, the fronts from '05+ are only 20mm smaller than the svt (300mm for svt, 280mm for 05+ and 258mm for pre 05.)

I would swap the rears today and then budget for the front SVT calipers/rotors. The front SVT calipers are a direct bolt on replacement. Just need calipers (any parts store should have them as reman'd) and then new rotors/pads of your choice

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
revised my original, missed that they were going on a '10.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Cheaper & more effeicent braking is to add svt rotors/calipers to your '10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys thank you all for taking the time to reply, sadly the svt donor was crushed before I could arrive to yank off all the parts needed. I still very much want to do this upgrade and keep hearing about a kit that will do the job, can anyone tell me where I can find this kit?

Thanks again
Grimm

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Ok guys thank you all for taking the time to reply, sadly the svt donor was crushed before I could arrive to yank off all the parts needed. I still very much want to do this upgrade and keep hearing about a kit that will do the job, can anyone tell me where I can find this kit?

Thanks again
Grimm
[gunfire]@ the crusher...

What a waste, hope nothing else was still in good condition on the poor SVT. Parts are getting harder to come by

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly it was a relatively minor front end collision damage was bad but definitely repairable but it deployed the airbags, enough for the insurance company to kill it

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You can buy a pr of SVT rotors, calipers & pads. It a direct bolt on. I'd for sure do new brake hoses.

·
Registered
521 Posts
For the rear you need to find either an SVT or a 2005-2007 ST, depending which size you want. Remember that 15" rims will not fit over the SVT fronts. I would really try to match the setup: either SVT on all four corners, or stock in the front and ST in the rear.

You'll need the backing plates, spindles, hub assembles, calipers and brackets, brake hoses (more on that in a moment), and the parking brake cables from the equalizer bar in the exhaust tunnel back to the wheels. Also get two sets of new bolts for the backside of the spindles, since you're likely to break at least one of the old ones. If you have ABS, you'll have to have the sensors as well. If you buy the hubs and spindles separately, new spindle seals are also good -- I bought the SKF ones because I like the little applicator thing it comes in.

The brake hose is longer because you eliminate one of the hard lines that's on the drum setup. With the drum, you can see the hard line come in from the master cylinder, then there's a short hose that jumps over to another hard line, which goes into the wheel cylinder. The long hose eliminates that short hard line, going directly from the body into the caliper.

I bought pads and rotors new. Why install a new brake setup and then use pulsating old rotors and worn pads?

Toby

1 - 13 of 13 Posts