Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My first post here; though I've lurked here for several days reading up on the new Focus. [giddy]

I haven't seemed to find an answer to my question on the forums, but I apologize if this has been answered before. If it has please direct me to the appropriate thread. Anywho, here goes:

I am a "young kid" who is recently out of college and finally able to afford my first new car! When I was at the Ford dealership, they offered to order a car with the exact specs I want and lock in the rebates, etc (and in 2 months when the car arrives, if I decide I don't want it anymore, there is no obligation/charge/hidden fee/etc). They even gave me some extra off the MSRP before the rebates. Needless to say I was able to get a great deal!

I ordered a Focus SE Hatch because I was under the impression that was the highest trim level you could get a stick shift in (yes I'm a stupid young kid who likes manual transmissions [giddy])
I opted for the SE sport package, cruise control, moonroof, and the rear cargo tray (the rubber one).

However, I learned that the Titanium now has stick as an option, and comes with a bunch of standard features/options I didn't or couldn't get on the SE- Sync Bluetooth (starting to wonder if I should have opted for this to connect my phone hands-free), handling package (not available on the SE), Sony 10 speaker sound (not available on the SE).

I guess my question is, are there any other major differences between the Titanium and the SE that I'm not aware of? The 3 options I listed I'm not sure are really worth the ~3 grand increase in price, but if there are other options that will be a lot nicer, then maybe I should switch my order? Would the Titanium hold it's value better than an SE over 5 or 10 years? Lastly, is there any advantage of the Titanium over the SE for aftermarket parts (I would assume the power-train and chassis are exactly the same, and the body is at worst very similar)?

Sorry for such a long winded post!

Too Long Didn't Read version:
What are the main feature/spec differences between the manual trans SE and the manual trans Titanium?

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Hey man, yes there are several other upgrades included in the Titanium trim level such as 17" alloys and intelligent access. Best thing to do is go to the Ford website, start building your own Focus but click "compare these models" in the "choose your model" screen. This will list all the features and whether they standard, optional, or n/a on each trim level.

You are smart to make sure the extra features you're getting are worth the increase in price to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for such a quick reply!

I feel like a dodo bird because I never noticed that "compare models" before. I just checked it out and noted all the differences.

The Titanium seems to have a lot of features I can't get (not compatible with manual) or I don't care about!

The one thing I did notice was the Titanium doesn't come with the keypad option? I forgot to mention I opted for that on the SE because it's a feature I use on my sable quite a lot (for example, when I go play frisbee I often lock the keys in the car and unlock via the keypad). Any reason why this isn't an option on the Titanium?

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Thanks for such a quick reply!

I feel like a dodo bird because I never noticed that "compare models" before. I just checked it out and noted all the differences.

The Titanium seems to have a lot of features I can't get (not compatible with manual) or I don't care about!

The one thing I did notice was the Titanium doesn't come with the keypad option? I forgot to mention I opted for that on the SE because it's a feature I use on my sable quite a lot (for example, when I go play frisbee I often lock the keys in the car and unlock via the keypad). Any reason why this isn't an option on the Titanium?
I wasn't aware any of the trims were available with the keypad. As far as I know that's an aftermarket add-on only.

I agree, the Ti has a lot of features I don't care about and don't miss. Others will say you should get them anyway so you don't regret it later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ordered a Titanium about 3 weeks ago and last week was when they came out with the Titanium manual. needless to say i called and had it switched to the manual. But before i ordered i was in ur shoes i wanted a manuel but also the cool features.Here are the differences between the SE and Titanium:
Black exterior features (headlights and fog lights)
Chrome belt line
Sport suspension
Standard SPORT cloth seats
intelligent access
standard Sony audio
MyFord Touch
Interior ambient lighting
different center console (e brake, upholders etc.)
Dual auto climate control

Aside from the console, suspension, and MINOR exterior styling differences its all tech stuff. So if you don;t really care about the tech, i would stick with the se. But in m case, the tech was one reason i wanted the focus. So just way your options and see if u think the the is worth it or not. Glad to here you want a manual though!

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I ordered a Titanium about 3 weeks ago and last week was when they came out with the Titanium manual. needless to say i called and had it switched to the manual. But before i ordered i was in ur shoes i wanted a manuel but also the cool features.Here are the differences between the SE and Titanium:
Black exterior features (headlights and fog lights)
Chrome belt line
Sport suspension
Standard SPORT cloth seats
intelligent access
standard Sony audio
MyFord Touch
Interior ambient lighting
different center console (e brake, upholders etc.)
Dual auto climate control

Aside from the console, suspension, and MINOR exterior styling differences its all tech stuff. So if you don;t really care about the tech, i would stick with the se. But in m case, the tech was one reason i wanted the focus. So just way your options and see if u think the the is worth it or not. Glad to here you want a manual though!
I think the upgraded suspension only comes with the $600 handling package, right? Which puts him even further away from the SE's price. And I have yet to have someone on here explain the real differences with the Titanium's "sport" seats, other than the fabric! [cheers]

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you're like a lot of people on here you plan on changing just about everything anyway you should go with the cheapest one that has what you can't (or will be very hard/expensive to) replace. The SE with 5 speed has everything I want and nothing I don't. $1000 worth of mods later and I'm getting it closer to what I want it to be. Another $2000 (The difference in cost for you) and it will be PERFECT..for me; as well as out perform any factory car you can buy fo the same price and look better doing it. Just my .02

EDIT: I vote for SE

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
If you think you're going to be modding the car (Eibach suspension, Projector/DRL headlights, etc) - definitely stick with the SE. I've been kicking myself in the butt for getting such a high-end model!

Plus, with the Ti Handling package, your steering radius and trunk space suffer. [:(]

·
Registered
277 Posts
The SE is available with SYNC and Bluetooth connectivity. 203A has both, as well as Sirius and dual LCD screens.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
These are the features that are added to the Titanium (comparison is to SE base spec)
Audio
— Sony® 10 speakers Sound System with Subwoofer
— HD Radio™
• Aux 12V Power point (Rear)
• Beltline Molding – Chrome
• Brakes – Rear Disc
• Climate Control – Dual-Zone EATC
• Cruise Control
• Floor Mats – 1st and 2nd Row
• Fog lamps – Black surround
• Grille – Piano Black
• Headlights – Black surround
• Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start
• Lighting
— Ambient Lighting (7 Colors)
— Reading Lights – 1st Row
• Metallic Interior Trim Finish – Door pulls and register
surround
• Mirror (Exterior) – Side Marker Lamps
• MyFord Touch™ (8" Touch-Screen Display)
— 4" Cluster Display Screen
— 8" Center-stack touch-screen
— Steering wheel control switches
— Multi media Input
— Internet/WiFi Capable
• Overhead Console
• Rear Spoiler
• Seats
— Sport Manual Cloth
— 2nd Row – 60/40
• Security – Anti-Theft Perimeter Alarm
• SIRIUS® Satellite Radio with 6 month prepaid subscription
(48 Contiguous States). Service Not Available in Alaska or
Hawaii
• Steering Wheel – Leather-Wrapped
• Storage – Rear-Seat back Compartment (map pockets)
• Sun visors – Dual Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
• SYNC® with USB
• Transmission – 6-speed PowerShift Automatic Transmission
with SelectShift capability
• Universal Garage Door Opener
• Wheels – 17" Sport Aluminum
• Windows – Power with 1-Touch Up/Down on All Windows

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you think you're going to be modding the car (Eibach suspension, Projector/DRL headlights, etc) - definitely stick with the SE. I've been kicking myself in the butt for getting such a high-end model!
I do want to add some mods, but I'm not sure how "soon" I'll be doing any of that as I'm one of those waranty-paranoid people. [:p]

Plus, with the Ti Handling package, your steering radius and trunk space suffer. [:(]
The trunk space suffers? The whole reason I was planning a hatch in the first place was to get every last bit of trunk/cargo space I could! (I also plan to add a roof rack at some future date to make loading up the car for a camping/hiking/biking trip a little easier, but that's another story!)
And how much does the turning radius decrease? Honestly, these two things make me a bit more confident in the SE.

The SE is available with SYNC and Bluetooth connectivity. 203A has both, as well as Sirius and dual LCD screens.
For some reason I opted to not get this package... I balked at the $800 increase in price, but now I'm wondering if I should have just jumped on it. Oh well... live and learn and maybe I can see if it's not too late to switch to it. Worst case I've saved myself 5 pounds of curb weight I guess. [:p]

As always, thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The trunk space suffers? ...And how much does the turning radius decrease?
The floor of the trunk is raised about another 3 inches or so?

Turning diameter goes from 36ft to 40ft. It doesn't sound like a lot now, but that means you can't make a U-turn at an intersection like this:

Basically, I need a 6-lane street or it'll require a 3 point turn. I got lucky in the winter when making a u-turn once; There was a bunch of snow on the ground so I purposely took it too fast then let off the throttle so that I could drift and swing my tail around. Worked like a charm...

·
Registered
277 Posts
For some reason I opted to not get this package... I balked at the $800 increase in price, but now I'm wondering if I should have just jumped on it. Oh well... live and learn and maybe I can see if it's not too late to switch to it. Worst case I've saved myself 5 pounds of curb weight I guess. [:p]
Worth every penny in my opinion. I love SYNC and I love satellite radio.

If I had a dime for every time someone commented on how "pretty" the dual LCDs are, I'd almost have the option paid off! [giddy]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the upgraded suspension only comes with the $600 handling package, right? Which puts him even further away from the SE's price. And I have yet to have someone on here explain the real differences with the Titanium's "sport" seats, other than the fabric! [cheers]
The difference between the cloth seats and the sport cloth seats is the bolstering; it is much larger on the sport seats. I was wrong[facepalm], the Titanium comes with Performance suspension standard and the sport suspension is an option on with the handling package. But it is still better then the SE suspension.[thumb]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought the Focus came with three different suspensions, Standard, Touring, and Handling. Always thought both the SE with Sport Package and the base Titanium both shared the same Touring suspension.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I thought the Focus came with three different suspensions, Standard, Touring, and Handling. Always thought both the SE with Sport Package and the base Titanium both shared the same Touring suspension.
The difference between the cloth seats and the sport cloth seats is the bolstering; it is much larger on the sport seats. I was wrong[facepalm], the Titanium comes with Performance suspension standard and the sport suspension is an option on with the handling package. But it is still better then the SE suspension.[thumb]
Politely requsting your source on the standard suspension differences. I've never seen any mention of suspension differences between trims except for the Ti Handling Package with 18" wheels which claims to have "optimized sport suspension components" whichi I thought just meant it's slightly stiffer.

I'm also skeptical, based on what others have reported on here, of any significant differences between the seats in the SE Sport, SEL and Ti.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Politely requsting your source on the standard suspension differences. I've never seen any mention of suspension differences between trims except for the Ti Handling Package with 18" wheels which claims to have "optimized sport suspension components" whichi I thought just meant it's slightly stiffer.

I'm also skeptical, based on what others have reported on here, of any significant differences between the seats in the SE Sport, SEL and Ti.
Seats: I know the leather ones have lumbar support, which is nice.

AFAIK, it's just the 18" wheel cars that have the shorter turning circle (which isn't exactly great on the other models as is).

In Canada at least, the difference between a loaded SE Sport etc and an SEL was next to nothing, and can be had with a manual gearbox.

Personally, I think the Ti and SEL are worth it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Politely requsting your source on the standard suspension differences.
Someone posted the respective springs and shocks with each trim level. I could find them, but Christ that was so long ago...

·
Registered
193 Posts
my se sport suspension is fairly stiff i cant imagine they are all like that.its allot harsher than my mothers 2007 se focus

1 - 20 of 78 Posts