Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How many liters do I need to purchase if i want to change my transmission oil ?

2. How many liters do I need to purchase if i want to change my brake fluid ?

I'm going with motul gear 75w90 and probably motul rbf600 or motul 5.1 brake fluid

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Your owner's manual has the refill capacities for the transmission.

As for the brake fluid, I myself would not bother with the expense of a 5.1 brake fluid, vs. DOT 4, unless I was racing the car on the track, or had experienced brake fade from overheating.

However, if you want to use 5.1, it is compatable with DOT 3/4, so typically one would bleed the brakes until the fluid in the reservoir is right at the bottom, gently fill with the new fluid, and then just keep bleeding the brakes until you see the new, clear fluid coming out of all four brake bleeders at the wheels. In my experience, a liter is more than enough to replace all the brake fluid in the system.

A power bleeder would be quite nice to borrow to accomplish this, vs. the cheaper vaccum bleeders or traditional pump the brake pedal process, which would take forever.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea to deviate much from the recommended lube. Why do you want to put that heavy, goopy crap in your transmission??? Especially living in Canada! Talk about power loss! And I would worry about the effect the change might have have on your synchros.

There is nothing going on in your transmission to materially effect the chemestry of the lube. There's even a nice magnet to pull out any metal. Barring high water, the trans lube is easily good for the life of the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im racing the car once a week and i experienced overheating several times. Thats why I purchased hawk HPS + brembo plain rotors and I will buy SS brake lines.

Each week, I participate in a solo2 event. MAybe 2 or 3 times per year, I'm doing a full lapping day (where overheating appears)

For the transmission, yes its a MTX.

so, do I need to change trans oil (how many miles between oil changes) and do i need to change DOT4 brake fluid to DOT5 (motul 5.1)???

thx

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Ford's own transmission flush schedule for the MTX-75 is long...so long that I don't think they have a suggested interval for changing it. I've changed mine once, and that was because I had to drain the gearbox so I could take the axles out to replace the clutch. And yes, 75w90 is way too heavy...look into the Ford MTX oil or something more in the range of 5w-40 or so.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Ford actually uses a very good synthetic in the MTX, it is pricey, but nice stuff. Pick that up at the Ford dealer. The 5.1, I use it as well, same thing, if you are doing track days, why not for insurance. The motul is good stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts