Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The question is: if you hit the rev limiter, should it make a really loud pop and shot flames, then keep popping with no power at all untill you stop and restart the car? I hit the rev limiter about five or so times sine I had this car. I have an sct tune which moved the rev limiter to 8k and a off road pipe. I know that the rev limiter just cut the spark which would explain the flame and pop. I just to not know why it keeps popping and has no power untill you stop and restart the car. Then it is like nothing happened after it is restarted. I also would like to know if it will do the same thing if I get an msd two step rev limiter which cut the spark but not the fuel?
Andrew

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
It is going into limp mode.

Why the hell are you hitting the rev limiter so much? [???:)]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I agree it's going into limp mode.
Scary stuff, and stay away from the limiter till it's figured out.

Something isn't right though, as I've hit the limiter enough times to know that I've never had the problem you describe.
The ORP (less back pressure) could be adding to the popping and flaming issues I suppose,
but it shouldn't go into limp mode because of that.

Exactly who did your SCT tune?
I'd be getting in touch with them ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I'd lower that limiter down to 7,600 at most, and do it NOW.
While the valve train is OK at 8,000 the oil pump is NOT. [nono]

·
Registered
607 Posts
WD40 said:

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I'd lower that limiter down to 7,600 at most, and do it NOW.
While the valve train is OK at 8,000 the oil pump is NOT. [nono]
You'd be wise to follow WD40's advice

but, why are you hitting the rev limiter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the tune dyno at Mcnews when I had 16k. Now I have 47k and have no problem. I hit the rev limiter twice when I missed a shift and the other times were for fun. On the dyno I made power till 7500 with it rev limiter set at 8. The car runs great with the sct tune, I do not think there is a problem with it. What could happen taking it to 8k?

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
the oil pump can only handle up to 7600 rpms...

·
Registered
970 Posts
The oil pump can handle close to 8500rpms, just don't want to blow that bad boy, which is why you should go no more then 7800rpm on the rev limiter.

BTW, at 7600rpm, I'm still building HP, the increase isn't very much though.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
wow i was told 7600rpms. either way i wouldn't think you'd wanna go too high up there

·
Registered
524 Posts
ajbeer-svt said:
I had the tune dyno at Mcnews when I had 16k. Now I have 47k and have no problem. I hit the rev limiter twice when I missed a shift and the other times were for fun. On the dyno I made power till 7500 with it rev limiter set at 8. The car runs great with the sct tune, I do not think there is a problem with it. What could happen taking it to 8k?
What could happen taking it to 8K? Don't you think this is a question you should ask yourself BEFORE changing it to 8K? And don't you think that if the regular redline is 7250, that by taking it to 8K you are significantly, if not all the way, through whatever safety margin there is? If you rev the engine hard into the rev limiter, just because fuel cuts off at that speed, it doesn't mean the engine just magically stops accelerating immediately - all the reciprocating/rotating stuff has inertia - and it's going to keep accelerating until the inertia runs out.

If I had my rev limiter raised 750 rpm over stock, I know I would not be BANGING into it "for fun."

Jesus - we gotta get a better grade of newbie on here.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've heard the oil pump literally explodes when you go over 8000 rpms for too long. You must think you have a Honda S2000......

·
Registered
356 Posts
nah stuff like this supports my darwin theory on car enthusiasts :)

If people think they need 10K on their rev limiter... or shit... no limiter at all. Go for it I say. If you didnt do your home work on why you want a change made... and still want to do it? thats cool, it will work itself out sooner or later, and you will learn something valuable :)

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Daeron said:
The oil pump can handle close to 8500rpms, just don't want to blow that bad boy, which is why you should go no more then 7800rpm on the rev limiter.
It's been well documented on this site by two of the more popular tuners,
Hypnotic Illusions (Wayne) and Focus Power (Tom),
that the oil pump is only good for 7,600rpm.
Take it past that too much, and you're asking for trouble.

That's primarily the reason both of those tuners have had plans to have a billet pump produced for our cars.
When it will be out, is anyone's guess though. [:(]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off Fordson - I did not change the limiter, the program was writen for my car on the dyno At McNews. I had it done about 31k ago with no problems at all. I made peak power at 7500 with the limiter set at 8. Also the limiter cuts the spark not the fuel. I just wanted to know if I have a problem with my tune or something else? I want to know because the msd two step limiter also act like the stock limiter. I drive the car hard, but I do not take it passed 7k often. Also has it ever shut off for anybody else before when kissing the rev limiter?
Andrew

·
Registered
332 Posts
Could it be the MSD ignition putting it into lymp mode? I'm guessing this is the Dis2 box and not the Ignition?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The biggest question should be - Why are you missing shifts? Should you get a Honda with an automatic?

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Ouuuuuuuch Honda with an automatic....... lol. That was pretty harsh. I would take your car back to the tune shop you went to and have them check out your tune. And if they can set your rev limiter at 7600 rpm like WD40 said. He knows what he is talking about. I am sure it will still make the same power at 7500 rpms with the limiter set at 7500. Like they say ( Better safe than sorry).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts