Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So has anyone with the 2.0L Duratec painted their valve cover? I know you can't powder coat it because it's plastic. I was just wondering what ALL would be involved in it. I know you have to clean it. But would you recommend replaced the gasket too? I really want to paint the valve cover on my '06 Focus ZX3 blue so that it will SOMEWHAT match the exterior paint. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but I did a search and it found nothing but Zetec ones. I was just curious.

It's pretty sad, I'm going to school for this type of thing. (Not paint, but automotive) and I'm asking if you should replace the valve cover gasket. Although you should always replace it when removing the valve cover.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you should be safe using the existing gasket since it's a relatively new car.
try not to ruin it when you pry it off though... and torque it down to spec, going in a star shaped order... there should be a specific order to tightening the bolts.

As far as painting goes... I would recommend paint that is suitable for high temperatures... I know duplicolor paint sticks to metal at high temps... not sure about it being plastic though... I think it may still work.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah just get that engine paint. should probably do all the steps to painting though, b/c i tried painting the engine cover of my last car(it was just a cover that goes over the engine, not an actual valve cover, and the paint didnt work, but i sux at painting, so who knows lol

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You can try calling around to see if anyone has a valve cover from an '03 or '04. They are metal.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
always always always use a new gasket, is it worth the hassel of doing it twice if the old one does leak?

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
03 and 04 model valve covers are different aint they? u got to make sure u atleast lightly sand and make sure there are no ruff spots then prime it and then let dry and paint it...u dont want to just paint on plastic....in a week or two it will be comming off and looking like crap...and u dont want gouges in the plastic either or as soon as u hit it with paint u will see it...u just want to lightly sand it..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. Thanks for the input. I know how to paint, I've painted alot of things on my last car, everything came out really well. I think I will try it when I get the money for some paint. I have 1000grit sandpaper, I'll just lightly wetsand it, wash it off, then I will paint it. I don't want to paint it with primer first because the primer won't handle the heat and that might make it bubble then it might look like crap.

Thanks for the replies though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts