Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i'm about to store my car for the winter in a warm garage and everyone keeps telling me i should leave the car with fresh engine oil in it, but i just had my oil changed about 1000kms (600 or so miles) ago, do i have to put new oil in for storage? i really can't be bothered to change the oil again[???:)]

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
You'll need to change it early on the other side depending on your geographical location and humidity. Or not if you don't care about the car.

One of the major uses of oil that nobody gives any thought to is corrosion control in humidity. Once you have run the oil the water in it combines with other exhaust product (water is the main one) to create acids that form low temperature (as vs. high) sludges, leaving the oil in will add to engine sludge.

I tend to leave the oil in and change it as soon as I heat it up the first time on the other side of winter. If you think there is no corrosion issue there then break down junkyard motors for a bit, those squiggly little tunnels you often find on bearings in them are from that acid working as the motors sat being unused. Bearing material is one of the first things to go, corrosion loves to eat it.

If they use ethanol in your local fuel then the fuel tank may be a far bigger issue, fill it up with fresh fuel to keep the whole amount as fresh as possible, otherwise water in it will turn the fuel acid (ethanol does that at 100X the rate oil will) as well and the first inclination of that will be a fuel pump going bad a week or a month or even right when you start the engine back up in spring. Happens all the time, I used to sell scads of pumps at the first starts after winter. The fuller the tank is the less aspiration it does between warm and cold days, the tanks breathe in and out every day. Put car away low on fuel and you are begging for it if the tank is not well sealed at evap parts. The more fuel you have in tank the longer it can sit before the whole thing phase separates and the next step after that is acid production.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts