Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you smoke the taillights, is there anyway for a cop to determine it illegal? Im from IL, and I know their laws are usually a little stricter than most states. I imagine it would be okay if you have your 3rd light working. Ive seen a whole bunch of smoked taillights on the street and sometimes its real tough to determine if they are braking or if its just their running lights.

Another question,
Would it be a good idea to smoke the taillights, then get super bright bulbs (like xenon-ish) so when you do brake, people can really tell? I imagine that if the bulbs are super bright behind the smoked lights,the lenses would show up pinkish.
[boxface]

·
Registered
79 Posts
lol the best thing to do is take your taillights out and take it to a tinting place and do it there and you shouldnt have a problem as long as u still could see ur running lights but it also might be better if u get brighter lightbulbs. lol

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
You could go with lamin-x film also. Or you can bring it to a tint place, or you can niteshade, niteshading being the most difficult and time consuming. Getting them tinted will probably cost you a decent amount also. Go to focussport.com http://www.focussport.com/laminx.htm

The have lamin-x in a varitey of shades that are all precut for the different lights on the focus. You can also order plain sheets and cut them yourself if you were working on a big project.

I just noticed that you have an 08...they don't have precuts listed on their site for the 08. But there 08 project cars do have the tails tinted. Idk if they used lamin-x or niteshade or what, but maybe you can call them up and ask them about it. They maybe have some to sell or can make one for you. Or you can just get the uncut one and cut it urself. Lamin-x is alittle bit easier to install and maintain then tint. Also it comes off alot easier if a cop pulls you over and gives you a fix it ticket.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
If you want to run leagal, look up your state laws on the subject, or better yet, go to the ticket source, ask a local police officer when he/she is not busy what their thoughts are, perticularly a traffic officer. Keep in mind the law is subject to interpretation, and it is the judgement call of a law enforcement officer that you need to worry about on the legal side.

Other than that, I am not a fan of tinted tail lights, sometimes they look nice but often it makes it difficult for others to see your turn signals during the day, just the other day I almost had a accident with an F150 with tinted tails because I was unable to see his turn signal indicating he wanted to illeagally enter my line of travel until the last second.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
If you want to run leagal, look up your state laws on the subject, or better yet, go to the ticket source, ask a local police officer when he/she is not busy what their thoughts are, perticularly a traffic officer. Keep in mind the law is subject to interpretation, and it is the judgement call of a law enforcement officer that you need to worry about on the legal side.

Other than that, I am not a fan of tinted tail lights, sometimes they look nice but often it makes it difficult for others to see your turn signals during the day, just the other day I almost had a accident with an F150 with tinted tails because I was unable to see his turn signal indicating he wanted to illeagally enter my line of travel until the last second.
At least he used a turn signal lol.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just be careful I had a friend somke his lights, then the next day a car ran into him at a stop light. It was funny because i told him if he smokes his lights a car would hit him. He totaled his 2007 scion tc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I did smoke them, would you think that new brighter lights when on would make the lenses look weird? I imagine like a pinkish gray or something.

I wonder if AVS or anyone is going to make covers for them at some point..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
check me out in the Unique Coatings forum. We have been tinting tail lights for several years now using our exclusive coating process. You wont find a nicer set. Our sets look great, and offer excellent daytime visibility. We also have a core program for them, that allows you to purchase a set from us, and then send your stockers back in for a portion of the original purchase price. Here is a picture from an 08 edge, similar to the 08 focus:

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Damn those things shine hardcore but how much you charge for them straight out?

I did a how to on this in the archive if you want check it out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
To the laws in IL:

The cops will not pull you over as long as the reflectors still reflect during daylight. That's the thing they look for. A red reflection. Also, it's not a bad idea to do what some others have and leave the reverse light untinted. As it's white, it doesn't through off the "black look" too much, and it's just one of those other things I know the red and blue aren't happy with on occasion.

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
it is crucial that you get a high gloss finish on the taillights in order for them to still light up and be visible. Super bright LEDs in place of the stock bulbs will also help.

just remember, a hazy niteshaded finish means a crappy light output.

·
Registered
452 Posts
X2 on the super bright LED's. As far as wanting to avoid a "pinkish" color, use only red LED's. Although you would think the white ones put out more lumen's of visible light, they DO NOT put out as much RED light as the red ones do. Sounds obvious, but when you put a red light through a red lens, it doesn't filter much light at all, but a white light will filter everything but red (blues, greens, etc.) resulting in less light output. That, and if the white bulb is really bright or your lenses are really thin, then say hello to ricer pink.

There's some sites who offer 360 degree red LED bulbs, don't just run out and get your generic walmart same-facing bulbs - LED's are directional and unidirectional lighting doesn't take advantage of the stock reflector housing, resulting in less spread and hard-to-see lights.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I was thinking the same thing on the red super bright leds too. The taillights take a size 3157 bulb. Do those super bright LEDS allow you to use them as running lights? Like at night, do they dim, then go super bright when you brake?? I'm not sure whether LEDs have the ability to dim or not, like just ON or OFF. If they do dim, then the red LEDs are a no brainer. ebay item here

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I sell upgrade LED for the lenses as well. Highest output LEDs available, and the bulbs are available for nearly all bulbs, including interior lights.

The bulbs are available in different LED configurations, all the way up to a 19 LED tail light bulb that will blow away factory output.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sell upgrade LED for the lenses as well. Highest output LEDs available, and the bulbs are available for nearly all bulbs, including interior lights.

The bulbs are available in different LED configurations, all the way up to a 19 LED tail light bulb that will blow away factory output.
do those LEDs function as running lights AND brake lights?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yes they do

just the same as your oem bulb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts