Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try my best to explain this and see if i can get some advice. I have the DCT and when i come to a complete stop the RPM's drop all the way down to 500rpm, luggs for a brief second (because of the low RPM) and then jumps back up to the idle RPM which i have set at 900rpm right now. It seems to me like it is staying in gear all the way until it hits 500rpm then it goes into neutral causing it to go back up to the 900rpm idle.

Is this normal?

It's kind of anoying, i'd rather it go into neutral at after it gets under the idle rpm that i have set at 900rpm as of right now, rather then waiting until it gets to 500rpm before popping into neutral. the lug it does drives me crazy.

I never noticed it before but i also just recently installed the FSwerks rear motor mount insert. So i'm not sure if i'm just noticing it now because i can feel the transmission better with a stiffer mount.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You just installed an aftermarket tune and now you're wondering why the car's behavior is odd? I'd say it was...the tune?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldnt really call it odd, more of a minor anoyance then anything. I was only posting to confirm it wasnt a normal thing. It's not ruining my driving experience. The car drives great and shifts great. It just seems to want to stay in gear a little to long before popping into neutral when i come to a complete stop. i'll talk to Tom about it. Like i said, i just installed the motor mount insert so i wasnt sure if i was just feeling it now since the mount is stiffer or if was actually off a bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Put the old calibration back into the PCM and see if the shifting returns to 'normal.' If it does then yes, it is the altered calibration affecting the transmission shift pattern.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ya, I agree with the others here... Just let Tom know the symptom and hopefully he can have it release out of gear into neutral a touch sooner maybe?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I turned it back to stock last night and it stopped doing it so i let Tom know. He already has a new tune sent. just have to wait until i get off work to install and test.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, I turned it back to stock last night and it stopped doing it so i let Tom know. He already has a new tune sent. just have to wait until i get off work to install and test.
Good to hear Tom is truly on top of it, let us know how it works out!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do! Tom definitley has excellent service. i never have to wait more then a couple hours for a response. He gets tunes out quick too. like i said, i sent him the email late last night, like 1030 pacific time which is 1 am his time and when i got up and got going this morning i had a new tune waiting for me. i'm just anxious to get off work and get it installed now!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well for anyone who was following this, Tom just sent me another tune this morning and i do believe it has soved the problem. I cant say enough how great his service is and how happy i am to have gone the custom route. it's nice to know he will keep tinkering with it until it is just right.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good to hear...I have NO IDEA why anyone would go with a canned tune for the same price as Tom when every engine is different and you get this level of service too.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You just installed an aftermarket tune and now you're wondering why the car's behavior is odd? I'd say it was...the tune?
cancelled question, it was answered a few posts later

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Good to hear...I have NO IDEA why anyone would go with a canned tune for the same price as Tom when every engine is different and you get this level of service too.
It couldn't possibly be that not everyone wants to have to data log and monitor to the hilt every single change, or that even though cars are different within tolerance they are functionally all but the same when they leave the factory.

No sir, not here sir.

Tuning is not a zero sum game where custom tuning is the be all and end all and "canned" tuning is to be laughed at.

Heck some of the highest WHP figures put out by these cars were achieved with just the factory calibration and throwing every mod in the book at them, though that may be a bit riskier especially when deleting the catalyst and failing to tune for it.

From what we've seen on these 2.0L GDI Ti-VCT motors the gains are similar for both and it comes down to personal preference.

Custom tuning is more critical if you wander too far from the standard modification path, but otherwise though nice to have is not really required as long as there is sufficient adaptability left in the programming to accommodate any variance.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
OK, fair enough, but if I do mods that affect the AFR, etc, I personally want a custom tune for my exact situation... I don't think a canned tune is as "safe" for that fact alone but I guess to each their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts