Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my question is, can you take front brakes of a standard focus zx3 and custom make your own bracket and mount the calipers on the rear or is that not possible cause for one the rear brake conversion kits are too exspensive in my opinion and trying to find a smashed svt and get the parts off that are not possible cause there either already gone or cant find smashed up svts...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ya if you dont mind you rear brakes locking up every time you try to stop anything posable with fab work

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
To add rear disc brake's you need to change out the spindle> The caliper is bolted to the spindle, over the disc. Have you looked at the '05-'07 ST's set-up= 10'' instead of 11's thou. Do you already upgraded your front brake's?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I think what GO.army may be referring to is that you'll have to get the brake "bias" figured out or the new rear brake will overpower the fronts. The front brakes do 60 to 70% of the work due to weight transfer and physics. You don't want to mess with that formula as there could be unintended consequences (e.g worse braking than you had initially).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
^^^ Ya thats what I ment. If he had all the rest but wanted to use the front calipers. did not word that right

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
It's all doable with the right fab work but don't do it with the front brake calipers.
Find a car that has smaller calipers if that's what you're going to go with. Maybe like a Civic's rear calipers or things like that to custom mount back there
Just to try to keep the correct braking bias

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well either way it would still be cheaper then a rear brake conversion that any site would sell...correct

·
Registered
267 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything I'd be screwing around with it. Do it proper or not at all. Too much liability if something goes wrong.

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i dont think i would just wondering if possible

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
I don't see how it'll be cheaper than the SVT Rear brake kit even with the discontinued calipers you can still purchase remans

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^^ I 2nd that! Price out the conversion from Touley Ford, ask for Steve.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a wrecked SVT that i used the drivetrain out of and id be willing to part with the rear brake setup for 250 if your interested...Youd have to pick it up though I dunno if id want to hassle with shipping... PM me if interested

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
the SVT rear kit is really worth it. depending on the condition of used parts from a yard you could be looking at more than the new kit if you have to replace a few things

1 - 14 of 14 Posts