Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Not the end of the world, but it sure would bug the crap out of me, and not look very professional. Only color I could see getting away with it would be black.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Daily driver or show car, any time I see miss matched door jams, I think "yuk, was the owner just cheap or lazy". Reminds me of the 29.95 Earl Scheib paint jobs from the 70-80's. But, it is your choice.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
the world will come to a complete stand still and life as we know it will cease to exist lol seriously if you taking time out to paint the car spending a little longer to do the door jambs wont hurt you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like I told you before I wouldnt paint the car a differant color and not the jambs, I think it looks cheap, retarted, and [limp]

What I would do if I was in your shoes, is paint the lower half of the car black and leave the top the factory gold, that way the gold jambs dont look out of place.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Step 1 - remove doors
Step 2 - paint doors
Step 3 - ?????
Step 4 - profit...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Basically, just pull the doors off and spray them with the rest of the door when you do it.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Step 1 - remove doors
Step 2 - paint doors
Step 3 - ?????
Step 4 - profit...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Basically, just pull the doors off and spray them with the rest of the door when you do it.
x2 on underpants gnomes strategy for painting door jambs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sand and prep the area as you would the rest of the car. Lots of corners to get into. Tape off the entire interior door opening and anything you don't want painted and spray the jam or, have a shop do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. take off all the plastic trim and door pannels around the door.

2. prep all the way back to where the trim will be replaced.

3. paint all the way back to where the trim will be

In other words, your masking line should be under the interior trim when you re-install it.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
^^exactly... if your going to go through the effort of getting it painted, go all the way... if you ever want to sell it later you wont have to explain why the door jams are different colors then the car. people get nervous about that

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
And it's not difficult to do so. Taking the rubber trim off from around the windows is really easy too, just pops off.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
If you are color changing, then door jams is a must unless you are intentionally going to complimentary colors.

You don't HAVE to take the door off, if you are super careful and make sure you don't miss anything. Otherwise, take them off. I would suggest removing the weather stripping from the door jams and using plastic drop cloths and masking tape on the inside of the seam the stripping attaches to to seal off the interior of the car.

Also, don't forget your engine bay. the only good way to do this without going crazy trying to mask and then paint hard to reach areas is to pull the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts