Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing through the forums just now and noticed this in one of the threads

babyface said:
Use your O/D. It helps gas mileage.
Now, I know that when the O/D button is pressed the car generally runs around 800rpms to 1000rpms higher. At the dealership they told me it was mainly for towning stuff (easier on tranny). To me this screams, killing my mileage!!!

Anyways strait to the point...

I like when O/D is on cause my car is faster and the engine responds quicker, but I would rather keep it "good on gas".
Please help me on this and provide why you think/know its better or worse for the gas mileage.

Thanks in advance

[:D]

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
By pressing the O/D button while crusing on the streets it switches the gear
from 4th to 3rd. yes you lose some milage.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ok, u have it all wrong. when u press that button on your gear selector you are turning the o/d off. cars today are always in o/d mode because it is an extra gear that does help out with fuel economy. when u push that button it turns your o/d off and you lose that extra gear so that the tranny doesnt have to shift as much

·
Registered
545 Posts
in simplest terms:
lower gear = more power
higher gear = higher top speed & higher mpg

Your automatic transmission has 4 gears, the 4th gear being the overdrive gear. If you press the button to turn O/D off, then your car will not use 4th gear. Therefore you will have more power because you are in a lower gear, and the RPM's are higher. But your top speed will be cut to about 90 (not sure how far 3rd gear goes) and you will see a decrease in gas mileage.

I have an atx also, and sometime, if teh transmission is not shifting how i want it to on the highway, i will hit the button to get more power, to pass a truck or something going uphill, and then hit the button again, to let it go back into overdrive to cruise.

·
Registered
545 Posts
wow, both of you posted while i was typing that whole explanation up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm I wonder if american 05 focus are different than canadian...

If the button is not pressed I get 110mph but if the button is pressed I can do 115-120mph.

·
Registered
545 Posts
something must be different because the US foci are supposed to be governed at 108mph.... and what are your rpms at when you are doing 125 in 3rd gear??

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
But that has got to shoot your tach through the roof. I would advise
against doing anything over 70 in third gear on an automatic transmission.
That will kill your tranny

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a one time thing, its not going to happen again.

I had a "I wonder where the limiter kicks in" moment [:I], after I broke in the engine of course.

And yes the engine was screaming, but no idea on the tach thing since I found out about the lcd hack like 3 months after I did this.
(I have no tach[mad] )

Also I didnt say 125, I said 115-120. It was something around 118.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i've taken my car to about 75-80 with overdrive off, and it gets to about 4500rpm, so you had to be getting close to the rev limited which is set on the US foci at 6800 (i beleive) but it seems like you dont have a governor so you might not have a rev limiter either. You probably almost blew your engine completely.

·
Registered
704 Posts
my dad had a 2000 dodge neon that went 103 mph in second gear. I won 20 bucks off that. If you don;t believe me, find someone with a early 200 model neon, put it into to and punch it all the way to redline. It takes forever but it's kinda funny.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
gitar111 said:
in simplest terms:
lower gear = more power
higher gear = higher top speed & higher mpg

Your automatic transmission has 4 gears, the 4th gear being the overdrive gear. If you press the button to turn O/D off, then your car will not use 4th gear. Therefore you will have more power because you are in a lower gear, and the RPM's are higher. But your top speed will be cut to about 90 (not sure how far 3rd gear goes) and you will see a decrease in gas mileage.

I have an atx also, and sometime, if teh transmission is not shifting how i want it to on the highway, i will hit the button to get more power, to pass a truck or something going uphill, and then hit the button again, to let it go back into overdrive to cruise.

Correct, but with a tune, :) It shifts like OD is off throughout the gears, and it doesn't shift until 6200 at WOT......but just putting around, it shifts right at 3.....a lil more, it shifts around 4500....you get the idea.[thumb]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts